Author Topic: 46 Ouseley Road Balham  (Read 2083 times)

Offline David Rogers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 46 Ouseley Road Balham
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzy, I know  this address because my great grandparents lived there for a number of years in the 1920s & early 1930s.  I am new to Roots  & I'm not sure that whether you are still interested in the address & who lived there.  If you are I would be willing to share what additional information that I have but I notice that last your last "chats" were in 2018.  I look forward to hearing from you.  David.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 03:50 BST (UK) »
Hi David
Yes I am still very interested in finding any information I can.  As I mentioned my great grandfather died there but am not sure if it was actually in the house which I had assumed was 46 Ousley Road or in the actual main hospital building.  As I also mentioned my mother was also born there again stating 46 Ousley Road. 

But if your grandparents lived at that address between 1920-1930 how could it have been used as part of the hospital when he died in 1928?

Many thanks

Sue
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 10:27 BST (UK) »
Directory listings 1934 and 1938:

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 10:42 BST (UK) »
my great grandparents lived there for a number of years in the 1920s & early 1930s

Are you sure David? There are no entries for number 46 in the electoral rolls during that period.

Offline David Rogers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 16:57 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather died on 12 February 1923 at 46 Ouseley Road, Balham.   My Great Grandmother died on 6 September 1932 at the same address.     This info. is  from their death certificates, copies of which I have in my possession.   David,

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 16:58 BST (UK) »
That suggests that they both died at the hospital.

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 22:21 BST (UK) »
Yes that house appears to have been part of the hospital as I said my mother was born there and my great grandfather died there.  46 Ouseley Balham.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Online bbart

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 30 May 19 00:44 BST (UK) »
From this link, it does sound like the hospital was quite a collection of buildings:
https://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/stjames.html

The newspaper article on the poor fellow that fell from the window mentions he fell 30 feet (so 3 stories?), and that his nurse had put him to bed, then went to another ward, and upon returning he was gone.... so definitely a hospital setting.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 30 May 19 10:37 BST (UK) »
At risk of stating the obvious, every hospital and workhouse used a simple street address when notifying a birth or death. In the case of St James' Hospital, that address seems to have been 46 Ouseley Road.