Author Topic: 46 Ouseley Road Balham  (Read 2082 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 46 Ouseley Road Balham
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 30 May 19 10:43 BST (UK) »
At risk of stating the obvious, every hospital and workhouse used a simple street address when notifying a birth or death. In the case of St James' Hospital, that address seems to have been 46 Ouseley Road.

Indeed - one would (in this period) need to look individuals up in electoral rolls to find out where they lived; births and deaths registered as taking place at the official hospital address are not evidence of that.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 30 May 19 16:44 BST (UK) »
I have been following this thread with interest as I was born at No 30 Ouseley Road in 1946.  I cannot shed any light on the puzzle but to say that my Grandmother, who lived with us at No 30,  died in St James' hospital in March 1949 and her death certificate simply states under place of death St James' Hospital without giving a street address.  Doesn't help I know but thought I would chip in.

C

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 30 May 19 17:05 BST (UK) »
There had been a big change by 1949: the NHS had been created and the old Poor Law healthcare culture had been swept away. So there was no longer any social stigma attached to being in a free infirmary.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 30 May 19 17:07 BST (UK) »
At risk of stating the obvious, every hospital and workhouse used a simple street address when notifying a birth or death. In the case of St James' Hospital, that address seems to have been 46 Ouseley Road.
Indeed - one would (in this period) need to look individuals up in electoral rolls to find out where they lived; births and deaths registered as taking place at the official hospital address are not evidence of that.

I have a death cert for someone who died in 1900 at St Mary's Hospital, Paddington.  That's the address under 'When and where died', then his home address is entered with his occupation.  A couple of later hospital deaths are recorded in the same way.

Come to think of it, I believe the practice of using a hospital's street address applied when it was a workhouse infirmary, and I have seen that on other certs.

Carol   (Snap Shaun!)
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 30 May 19 17:14 BST (UK) »
I have just reread the newpaper article, and the fellow that fell from the window of St. James Hospital was "of New-road, Battersea", so hopefully Suzy can find him there in a directory.

Offline David Rogers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 18:00 BST (UK) »
Suzy,   I have a large scale map  & off the B237 St. James Drive there is marked 'Old Hospital Cl ' which could be the main entrance when St. James Hospital functioned.  It looks as though entrance could be gained from 46 Ouseley Rd. & the house faced the back entrance of the hospital.  It also looked that the hospital building adjoined Sarsfield Rd. Is that any help?
As far as I can ascertain my great grandparents did not live at No.46 until after the 1911 census so we will have to wait until 1921 to see if they were living there then . My great grandfather died at the house in Feb. 1923 & my grandmother died in Sept. 1932 registered in the sub-district of St.James' Hospital which is interesting, but I don't wish to cloud the issue any more!!
My great grandmother maiden name was Baker & was born in Somerset.  David.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 19:37 BST (UK) »
Have you found your great grandparents in the electoral rolls, David? There was nobody recorded at 46 Ouseley Road, which is understandable as it was part of the hospital.

There's a thread on GR about this too: https://www.GenesReunited.com.au/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/725836
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 20:11 BST (UK) »
Below is the 1939 register which shows Ouseley Road but with no 46 in it.  Which would suggest that there was no one living there.

Elizabeth Perkin   42 Ouseley Road, Balham Park Road, Balham Sw   Battersea   Wandswor   Piece 2249    
Charles Forster Denny   
43 Ouseley Road, Balham Park Road, Balham Sw   Battersea   Wandsworth   Piece 2249    
James Hassall France   47 Ouseley Road, Balham Park Road, Balham Sw   Battersea   Wandsworth   Pi    
William Henry Jefferie   49 Ouseley Road, Balham Park Road, Balham Sw   Battersea   Wandsworth       
John Towers   Shirly, 17 Ouseley Road, Balham Park Road Sw   Battersea   Wandsworth   Piece

Suzy
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 20:14 BST (UK) »
Ooops no not the 1939 register  I meant the 1911 census!

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker