Author Topic: DUFFY, John and GAFFNEY, Margaret  (Read 1885 times)

Offline MoeDuffCunn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DUFFY, John and GAFFNEY, Margaret
« on: Tuesday 20 March 18 15:07 GMT (UK) »
John born ? Ireland @ 1833.  Emigrated to Riccarton prior to 1860.  1861 lived as boarder w/John Conroy on Portland Iron Work New Road No 4.  He is a laborer. 
Margaret born in ? Ireland @ 1844
John & Margaret marry 7 May 1861 in Killbirnie, Ayrshire. 
1871 living on Portlander Row, Riccarton.  John is a furnace keeper.
John dies sometime between 1877 and 1881. 
They have 7 children:  John, Andrew Julia, Mary, Stephen, John, Thomas, Margaret.
All family has emigrated to US by 1888.
Looking for any record that may indicate where in Ireland John or Mgt. may have originated.  Any record of their life in Riccarton.  Do any early pictures exist of Portlander Row?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: DUFFY, John and GAFFNEY, Margaret
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RC  :)

Have you tried Scotlandspeople for a death for John ?
While it wont help with a birthplace it should name his parents if known to the informant.

There is a death for a John Duffy , age 46 , 1879 Kilbirnie Ayr.

ev

Added -
You may already have his parents if you have looked at the 1861 marriage certificate   :-\

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 14:58 GMT (UK) »
The death certificate for Stephen (dated 1944) records that he was born in Scotland on 15 Jan 1872, died in Philadelphia on 18 Sep 1944 and that his parents were John Duffy and Margaret born Gaffney.

For what it's worth, my wife is a Duffy. Her ancestors came from the parish of Kilmovee in Co. Mayo. As I understand it, the Duffy sept was centred around the border region of counties Mayo, Sligo and Roscommon.

Good luck, Justin

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 March 18 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi MoeDuffCunn,

Portlander Row , Riccarton....I've not heard of Portlander Row but there was a Portland Row. This was actually in the small town of Hurlford which came under the Parish of Riccarton.
Portland Row would house workers for the Portland Ironworks, which John as a furnace keeper would be working.

An image which gives a brief idea of the housing is on this family history website -
http://www.discoveringmyfamily.net/blog-whats-new/category/portland-row

Looby :)

Offline MoeDuffCunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 March 18 22:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your insights. 
To JustinL: 
I already had a copy of Stephen's death certificate as well as other in the family; he is my great, great uncle.  Oral history has it we (Duffy) may have come from Roscommon but nothing has been found to substantiate that.
To ev:
  I know when and where the marriage took place but have not seen the original so that is why I probably do not have all the information it may have contained.  I was not familiar with Scotspeople so that is a great help and I will try and determine if the John Duffy who died in 1879 is related.   I hope the document has more than just his name and cause of death...but may contain another snippet.
To Looby: 
Sorry but I can't shed any help with  your search.  All my family departed Scotland by 1888.  I think there are some in Ireland...that is what I'm trying to determine.  Loved the pictures you shared and the web sight. 
I have already gone back thru the census' to 1841 with some insight. 
Thank you all very much. 
MDC

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 March 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your insights. 
To Looby: 
Sorry but I can't shed any help with  your search.  All my family departed Scotland by 1888.  I think there are some in Ireland...that is what I'm trying to determine.  Loved the pictures you shared and the web sight. 
I have already gone back thru the census' to 1841 with some insight. 
Thank you all very much. 
MDC

Sorry MDC . either I have misunderstood your first post or you have misunderstood my reply :)

There was no Portlander Row in Riccarton , to my knowledge (I am local to this area)

Your family of John Duffy were living at Portland Row in Hurlford (a small town on the outskirts of Kilmarnock and which was in the Parish of Riccarton) . The tenants of Portland Row would be mainly employees of the Portland Iron Works. The photo I shared was an image of families outside Portland Row , obviously at a later date than when your Duffy family lived there. You asked for a picture of Portland/er Row.....this was the only image I could find of Portland Row. The row of cottages has long been demolished. 

Looby  :)

Offline MoeDuffCunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 March 18 22:52 BST (UK) »
Looby
Crossed wires.  I loved the pictures.  It really helps put a sense of a place; even though they are of a later date.  Thank you.  Also, I enjoyed looking at the research of other families in the area.  The historical perspective is always interesting.
MDC

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 March 18 23:00 BST (UK) »
No problem MDC  :)

There is also a description of Portland Row circa 1913 on
http://www.ayrshirehistory.org.uk/Bibliography/monos/amr6.htm

It doesn't sound like a place where you would want to live  :-\

Looby :)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 15:59 BST (UK) »
Scottish death certs give the full names of the deceased's parents. So it would be well worth while getting John's.

Justin