Author Topic: Where is the best place to post multiple trees of my surname for others to use?  (Read 4361 times)

Offline Shay123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
During my searches I have created trees of people with the same surname but not proven links to my own.
Rather than waste them by leaving them on my computer I want to post them for others to use.
I know Ancestry has trees like this and my tree on Wikitree only allows your own tree to be posted, so, some help / direction would be useful?
Crowe, Crough, Croagh some Croak and Crow
Ireland mainly Tipperary / Limerick (where the name variations occurred most) but I have many all Ireland collections of data etc.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the best place to post multiple trees of my surname for others to use?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 20:28 GMT (UK) »
You could create your own website?
See: www.vanstoneweb.co.uk for example.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the best place to post multiple trees of my surname for others to use?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 21:16 GMT (UK) »
I have found tribal pages a good site to use.
You can choose how private you want your tree to be and can invite people to view your trees or they can request an invitation.
There is no limit on how many individuals you can put there and you can pay for an upgrade. I have found it quite easy to use.
Good luck with that.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 21:35 GMT (UK) »
How about putting them on familysearch. They make millions and millions of records free to genealogists so its kind of giving back (and in a lot of cases you will be able to link them to their records).
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Shay123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Thanks for a great response!

Thanks KGarrad for the  Vanstone website example, really nice and clear of how to do it! Mine is coming along as they say but I will keep what you have done in mind.

Thanks davidft for reminding me for giving back to the community. I have used their site a lot in recent years so that will happen eventually, beyond my own website.

Thanks to Jackiemh for the suggestion of Triabal pages. This site has a lot of potential. As well as potentially loading more than one tree, it has multiple ways of clearly displaying the information for others. I am going to sign up and give this a try. I will report back when I have got to grips with it.

Thanks again to all of you for fastracking me!

Seamus Crowe
Crowe, Crough, Croagh some Croak and Crow
Ireland mainly Tipperary / Limerick (where the name variations occurred most) but I have many all Ireland collections of data etc.