Author Topic: What killed them in Geelong 1864?  (Read 1730 times)

Offline enzfan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What killed them in Geelong 1864?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 March 18 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everybody. Seems highly likely that the family contracted something and four of the six siblings died from that same disease.

Offline sdcmc

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 April 19 12:20 BST (UK) »
Transcript of a letter from W Marryatt, Geelong to Mrs McSparron, Umricam, County Londonderry, Ireland, in Dec 1864 (PRONI - Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, ref T2743/1/12)
"at the request of your brother Mr Wm Oliver who is now gravely ill, I write to inform you of the very severe ------ affliction he has had to undergo viz - the loss by death of three of his children in nine days from diphtheria, por little Martha Hannah first followed by James and then poor little Mary.  The youngest little Willie being still in great danger, by blessing of almghty God your brother has passed the crisis, the Dr gives us hope ..................  His poor wife, my sister, has as you may suppose, had a severe time for her strength but she has been helped, and although sorely tried the true womanly instincts of wife and mother, so much easier felt than described, has shed a ray of light and peace to the sick and suffering household.   I shall keep this letter open to see if there is any change to communiacte before mail closes.
Little Willie the fourth and youngest child died last night.
The names of the four dead childre - Martha Hannah, James, mary, William Edward, leaving one child to them, Catherine.

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 April 19 10:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for sharing this letter sdcmc 
How utterly heartbreaking to read the account of what this family went through  :'(  But what an insight it gives us.
I hope the original poster is still on Rootschat and gets to read it.

Thanks again for sharing,
Marlene
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)