Author Topic: Searching relations of Margaret Thompson 1621-1697.  (Read 532 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching relations of Margaret Thompson 1621-1697.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 00:01 BST (UK) »
Her father was Ralph Thompson – Born in 1596 in Kirkoswald, Cumberland. He married Mary Watson in about 1620, and they both died (undated) in Cumberland.
Now it gets tricky!
Ralph Thompson’s father was either Robert Thompson (A), born in 1560 in Watton, Herts. He married Elizabeth Harsnett, and died in 1620 in Cheston, Herts.
Or, his father was Sir Ralph (Robert) Thompson (B), born in the same place in the same year, who married Lady Elizabeth Harsnett in 1596 in Hoddesdon, Herts and died in 1620 in Cheston, Herts.
If Robert Thompson (A), his father was Robert Thompson, born 15 Feb 1546, who married Katherine Hill on 24 May 1573. I have no death dates for either.
If Sir Ralph (Robert) Thompson (B), his father was John Thompson, but I have no birth or death dates or marriage details, and no mother.

Earliest Kirkoswald church register in Cumbria Archives begin 1577. (Online catalogue CASCAT) The church existed before this afaik. The father of the Ralph Thompson who was born in Kirkoswald in 1596 was likely born before 1577 so if he was born in Kirkoswald before then,  a record of his baptism doesn't exist. Do you know if Kirkoswald baptism, marriage and burial registers are complete from 1577 and if any entries are damaged or illegible? What about registers of parishes nearby? Are they all complete? Ralph Thompson's parents may have married in another parish. Thompson is such a common name it's easy to go off on the wrong track.

I'm with Emelton re Hertfordshire connection.

I'm confused about the 2 men Robert or Ralph Thompson born in 1560 in Hertfordshire who both had a wife called Elizabeth Harsnett and both died in Cheston, Herts in 1620. Are you sure they were 2 different men or are there 2 records for the same people? The family of the one who was a knight should be in Herald's Visitations. Was Elizabeth a Lady before her marriage or did she become one as wife of Sir Ralph (or Robert) ?
Have you seen baptism records for Ralph/Robert 1560 and Robert 1546? Robert b. 1546 would have been only 14 in 1560. I would regard this with caution without corroborating evidence.  You have Robert 1546 marrying Katherine Hill in 1573. This is after birth of Ralph/Robert born 1560.
Why the confusion over names Ralph/Robert?
Do you have other evidence e.g. wills, property leases, letters, court records ?
The periods of history which you are researching include early decades of parish registers in 16th century and English Civil War and 'Commonwealth Gap' period in 17th. A lot of upheaval, religious disputes, vacant livings and missing records.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.