Author Topic: Cant find a marriage  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Cant find a marriage
« on: Saturday 24 March 18 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello, wondering if someone can help? My ancestors Humphrey and Jane Williams were living in Iscoyd, Flintshire, which was in the parish of Malpas, Cheshire.
Both are buried in Malpas. Humphrey in 1846 and 73 and Jane in 1827 aged 54. On the 1841 census Humphrey is marked as not being born in the county he lived in, Flintshire.

They dont appear to have married in Malpas, but i have no idea how to try and pinpoint where it would have been!

Tom
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cant find a marriage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 March 18 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Do you have the baptisms of any children?

There is a marriage in Denbigh, 7 April  1795 but I'm not too sure it's them. This was Jane's parish and Humphrey was of Llanrhaeadr-yng-Nghinmeirch, Denbighshire.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 March 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes, their youngest, my ancestor Sarah Williams was baptised on 22/03/1814 Malpas, Cheshire. Their eldest John was baptised 18/10/1795 in Hanmer, Flintshire
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 March 18 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hanmer - I will check but there was a fire and many parish records were destroyed - not sure of the dates. They could have married there.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 March 18 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Here we are:

These records are incomplete.
Despite the heroic actions of Canon Lee, two sets of information were lost in the fire of 1889; namely marriages 1787 - 1813, and burials 1784 - 1813.
The burial register has been "reconstituted" by copying the burial details from the Bishop's Transcripts, which are now in the Cheshire Record Office. Unfortunately, as the BTs did not include the marriages for the period, the marriage register could not be reconstituted.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Hanmer

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 March 18 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Ah I did know about this, but hadnt considered it for these to. More than likely the case! Thanks for pointing it out.

Tom

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 March 18 14:27 GMT (UK) »
If they were married in Hanmer then  there's no chance of finding the entry.

His age at death suggests a birth circa 1773. There's this in Llangollen:

15 Feb (born 11th) 1774 Humphrey son of John and Elizabeth of Eglwyseg

No way of telling if this is him. Have you found a will?

The only other bpt that I can find around then is in 1775 in Halkyn, Flintshire

Gadget

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 March 18 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Im sure i did on the national library of wales site, but it keeps crashing at the moment.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 March 18 09:08 BST (UK) »
Yes the marriages 1787 onwards were lost in the fire.Where individuals have married who were entirely native to Hanmer and appear in my Tree I've had to do some,quite frankly educated guesswork.Though for those born outside the Parish it may well be a different matter.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk