Author Topic: Tate of Wistow; Rimington of Pontefract; Todd, Turner & Wharrey of Selby  (Read 6316 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Tate of Wistow; Rimington of Pontefract; Todd, Turner & Wharrey of Selby
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 18 October 18 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

John Russel of Selby and Martha Hotchson of Drax married 10 Feb 1754 after Banns at Drax.

Both signed
Witnesses:  William Pullein and Edward Waud

Hello All

Thank you Claire.

So Martha Hotchson of Drax was the Daughter of Thos Hodgson of Featherstone, Tayler [sic].

That John Vincent, Mariner, [I need to see more of them Hull Trinity House Muster Rolls, to get his Birth place!!] married Elizabeth Russel and Elizabeth has the same descent as my Sarah Russel, who married George Hood of Selby.

Then about 80 years later from John Vincent, Mariner, on 16th February 1861 Matilda Vincent (alias Matilda Vincent Hood) was born at Langrick, in the Sub-district of Carlton in the Registration District of Selby and her Mother was Emily VINCENT HOOD. They were from Ditchingham, Norfolk.

I keep wondering if there is a local link somewhere and I've just missed it, for all these volumes of notes, Certificates, Census, Deed Registrations, pc files of photos and images, that have built up over 20 years. I must have seen and purchased upwards of 100 HOOD WILLS!

I can't 'see the Hood for the trees'.  ;D  ;D

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 18 October 18 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hello

Referring to John Hood [Master Mariner, Abode Selby, Born Scarbro'] occupying one part of a House divided into two Tenements at Mill Gate, Selby in the 1780s.

Property Indentures dated 5 & 6th April 1790 - Registered 1792 - Vol. DH, page 485, No 613 Eadon & Ors to Spencer.

Eadon [and John Turner, Tallow Chandler] & Others to John Spencer, Grocer (later a Gent)

The same House at Selby, divided into two Tenements changed owners in 1790. I am wondering if any of those Surnames named in the 1790 property transfer quoted had any links to a HOOD please:-

Thomas EADON of Selby, Gentleman (looked at before).
William RIMINGTON of Pontefract, Yeoman.
Joseph TATE of Wistow, Yeoman.
John TODD of Selby, Tanner.
John TURNER of Selby, Tallow Chandler. Grocer and a Book Keeper a few years later.
John SPENCER of Selby, Grocer. (later a Gent.)
Morley WHARREY of Selby, Gentleman.

Jno Todd
Witnessed by Jno Dodsworth and John Myers.

M. Shippen (not Slipper) Neighbour to John Hood in Selby Land Tax - 1780s

This House at Selby divided into two Tenements one occupied by John Hood, transferred in 1790 from John Turner, Tallow Chander (& Grocer) to John Spencer, Grocer (later a Gent).

One of the parties in the 1790 transfer, was Joseph Tate of Wistow, Yeoman.

1776 Wistow
Aug:t 20th Joseph Tate married Mary Shippen

In view of the 1790 House transfer (Registered 1792) also indicating Joseph Tate of Wistow, Yeoman was a party to the transfer and a 1776 Marriage found by Claire of Joseph Tate of Wistow, it confirms John Hood's Selby neighbour was almost certainly SHIPPEN.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 19 October 18 01:40 BST (UK) »
-Mark-

I've ( Joseph - bit more readable) darkened - enhanced your 1776 Wistow marriage image .
-------------
Only thing that is a bit confusing is:  Mary Shippen married Joseph Tate 1776 - so WHY was she put down in  the land tax 1781 5 years later (after she married Joseph Tate) in her maiden name as M Shippen and NOT - M Tate (Mrs)  ???

Unless M Shippen 1781 land tax was a relative of Mary Shippen = Mrs Tate by 1781 - (like:- Example Michael Shippen or Martha Shippen)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 19 October 18 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thank you dobfarm

Possibly the one in the Selby Land Tax was a relative of Mary Shippen.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 03 June 19 18:23 BST (UK) »

At Selby in June 1759 Elizabeth HOOD & Matthew ROW, witnessed the Marriage of Calvert TENNANT, Clerk, of Great Warley, Essex & Mrs Mary DAUNT.

Smithson TENNANT FRS was born Selby in 1761 and became a Chemist

Discussing HOOD & ROW witnesses today we both thought simultaneously of the 1782 Will of Catherine Spencer, Wife of Scarborough, these Spencers were linked to Rowe by marriage.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D622184

----------

John HOOD of Scarborough, Mariner, to Sarah HAMMOND, 1778 London Marriage Bond (Saint Giles in the Fields), Bondsman was a John ROE.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6449908#msg6449908

Hello

We called in at Selby Abbey on a recent visit to Yorkshire.

If you are following the other thread, you may have seen my very recent Robinson and Cook of Snaith / Snayth research attachment (Jottings).

1809 Admin (Inland Revenue Abstract) for John Cook of Snaith Yorkshire, England, gives his Sister's name Eliz'th Workman of Beverley County of York, who married Stephen Workman, a Widower at Beverley in 1795, wits Thos Procter and Mary Caygill. Also the place of Beverley was mentioned by my Grandmother along with the Robinson and Stephenson surnames.

Back to the quote above and our recent visit to Selby Abbey, some interesting recording of the Memorials was taken just over 100 years ago and regarding ROBINSON it says:-

Robinson. Date 170 - NNA, Bay from W 7. No 37
Daughter of William Robinson
Gentleman of Beverley.
Died the - of January 170 -
Aged -
(The above is amongst the
names on the Stone used by
the Daunt family
from
which, the eminant Chemist
Smithson Tennant was
descended.)
[sic]

Looking at Elizabeth HOOD in the quote (above) and looking at the Selby Abbey Floor Grave location information (quoted in this reply) linking ROBINSON to DAUNT, it seems there is a link from my HOOD family to an earlier *Elsabeth HOOD and link with ROBINSON and Beverley and Snaith, is beginning to emerge, just as my late Grandmother said about 47 years ago  ;D  ;D

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6745581#msg6745581

Thank you to all contributors and having all the past comments searchable.

Looks like I've got some Will reading and the links look to be made.

Regards Mark

* signed and spelt Elsabeth Hood and "of Selby" removed.
The 1759 Tennant & Daunt, wedding was by Licence and according to an unchecked transcription, it would seem Mary Daunt gave her residence as Snaith?