Author Topic: Robert John Evans, Sarah (Morgan) Evans - Mountain Ash  (Read 754 times)

Offline HDeFer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert John Evans, Sarah (Morgan) Evans - Mountain Ash
« on: Monday 26 March 18 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi there!  Visiting Wales in June and am looking for a bit more information on my Great-Grandparents.  Robert John Evans was born on 10 June 1897 in Llanllechid, Caernarvonshire.  His parents were Evan G. Evans and Elizabeth Williams.  He moved to Mountain Ash around 1904.  Married my Great Grandma Sarah Morgan in December 1920 in Pontypridd, and he passed away in Bay City, Michigan (US) in 4 September, 1974.  Sarah Morgan was born 6 August, 1902, in Aberdare.  She passed away 17 October, 1980 in Bay City, Michigan.  Her parents were  George Morgan and Elizabeth Day.

Robert John and Sarah had 7 children.  Muriel, Olwen, Ruth, Beatrice, Robert (my Grandfather), Ronald and Richard (who were twins).  I believe Robert John came to the US in 1927, but haven't found any documentation that would support that such as a passenger list.  I would love to know more about Robert Johns parents, and what Robert and Sarah's lives were like in Mountain Ash.  I believe they lived on Arthur Street at one time, possibly number 4.  Any other information such as where they went to school, and what mine he worked at/what his specific occupation was there would be great.  Am hoping to go and visit some of these places while visiting.  Thank you!!!

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Robert John Evans, Sarah (Morgan) Evans - Mountain Ash
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi I've sent you a Personal message, but I have just found Roberts John Evans' entry on the New York Passenger list and Arrivals. His entry has a line through it so I don't think he sailed onthis voyage, but it shows he was listed as aged 30 married, from Wales, place of birth and last place of permanent residence was Bethesda. His visa number was 6350 (I think) he left Southampton on 7th Jan 1927, heading for Bay City Michigan to a friend Mrs Ruth Kear of 209 (or possibly 200) Erie Street, bay City Michigan. His wife is listed as being his nearest relative - Sarah Evans, 42 Thomas street , Miskin, Mountain Ash Wales. He has not been to the States previoulsy and he had paid his own passage. He was 5 foot six, dark complexion and had dark brown eyes.

He looks to have sailed instead on the Regina (White Star 140596) , on Feb 4th 1928 from Liverpool bound for Halifax & New York, collier of 42 Thomas Street Miskin, Mountain Ash, aged 29 from Wales Contract Ticket number 22632

Offline HDeFer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robert John Evans, Sarah (Morgan) Evans - Mountain Ash
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
Another job well done.  That is definitely him!  Thank you!  I will look that information up.

Heather