Author Topic: Swalwell family, Lanchester  (Read 731 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Swalwell family, Lanchester
« on: Wednesday 28 March 18 00:40 BST (UK) »
I am researching the family of John Swalwell who was a blacksmith and innkeeper in Lanchester until his untimely death at the age of 45 in 1856.  After that his wife, Alice Swalwell just seems to have disappeared and I can't find her on the 1861 census.

She had five children aged between 5 and 14 so I suppose it is possible - even likely - that she remarried.  Can anyone help with a clue on what happened to her?  Many thanks

Elliven

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Swalwell family, Lanchester
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 02:06 BST (UK) »
In 1861 she is at Etherley Lane, Escomb, Durham, Widow, with 4 of her children, Alice Swallwell, Elizabeth Swallwell, John H Swallwell, Jane A Swallwell.

Looks like she may of remarried in 1867 to either John Balmer or Robert Robson Bousfield.
Oct-Nov-Dec 1867 Registration District Auckland, Durham.  10A     233

Offline Bruiser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 04:06 BST (UK) »
Still at Etherley 1871, aged 56 with son Benjamin 29 and daughter Jane Ann 17. Indexed on Ancestry as Goralwell.

Died 01 Sep 1877, bur. 04 Sep Etherley. Probate on Ancestry 27 October 1877, formerly of Etherley but late of Tow Law, effects under 100 pound.

The 1867 marriage solidrock mentions is for the twin daughter Alice b. 1850 and was to John Balmer. This couple at Toft Hill 1871. Their son John b. 1869 married Etherley 14 May 1894 Mary Tace Stephenson daughter of John Stephenson and Hannah Craighill.

Bruce

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you solidrock and Bruiser,

That tells me quite a lot.  I think she must have moved away after her two eldest sons had taken up or completed apprenticeships because both of them were still in the area at the time of the 1861 census and one of them was apprenticed as a blacksmith so he may have taken over the family business.  Perhaps she moved away with the second son as the both ended up living in the same area.

Elliven