Author Topic: DNA Phillips name  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
DNA Phillips name
« on: Thursday 29 March 18 09:25 BST (UK) »
I recently had my DNA results back which I've posted on a different thread.They were pretty much as expected for me the only surprise was I'm 3.8% Ashkenazi Jewish while my sister is 1.1%. Ever curious I decided to look at my surname origins and at only the second name I googled Phillips it mentions Ashkenazi Jews. My maternal grandmother was a Phillips.

I only did the test because two other family members refused to so I really don't have much idea what I'm doing, but it is fascinating. Can anyone who does know what they're doing tell me if I may have stumbled on the right track.

Many thanks. 

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Phillips name
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 March 18 07:23 BST (UK) »
I don't associate the name of Phillips with Jewish community. Neither do I associate my 'Jacobs' as being Jewish, though a remote cousin is convinced that she was of Jewish origin, because of the name.

You will have to follow your paper trail back on all lines to see if any possible Jewish heritage, not just Phillips, or do what most of us do - look at the ethnicity results as mildly amusing, vaguely relevant and put them aside.

They refer, if any where near accurate (which is open to question), to thousands/millions of years ago. If you have found no Jewish ancestors before 16th or 17th century, you are unlikely to do so in the future.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. The main reason I agreed to do the dna test was to see if it might help with my Irish ancestry, my great, great grandmother and her parents came over to England in the early 1840's and we still have no idea where in Ireland they came from. Maybe one day we'll find out about the elusive Mary Walsh.  >:(

My son, sister and cousin have also tested and we've had a few useful contacts on other lines.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 March 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
There's been some discussion of the surname Phillips on this thread, page 6 -

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459232.45

One family thinks their name is Spanish, another claims that their Phillips ancestors came from Brittany.

Harry

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 March 18 08:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that hdw,  my mothers Phillips family seem to have been firmly rooted in Warwickshire/Birmingham, we've got them to the mid 1700's but who knows where they originated from.

Four of us in the family have tested our dna and we're in contact with a few people, one lady sent us a christening  photo and we can see a family resemblance in our late paternal grandfather and his brother to their grandmothers sister who is on the photo.......made our day yesterday as we don't have any early photos.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 March 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
"The main reason I agreed to do the dna test was to see if it might help with my Irish ancestry, my great, great grandmother and her parents came over to England in the early 1840's and we still have no idea where in Ireland they came from. Maybe one day we'll find out about the elusive Mary Walsh.  >:("

Not the main reason for DNA testing for me, but I have one Irish ancestor, my husband has one as well (and presumably their ancestors).

Have found one likely match for my husband, but we cannot prove the link, and it may turn out to be through another name. My one likely match, with exclusive Irish Ancestry, so likely to be correct, most annoyingly won't reply!

Hoping for better luck in the future, as more and more people get tested.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 March 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
My husband has Philips ancestors from Worcestershire, not far from Warwickshire. Thomas Philips was born in Droitwich in 1656. I am not sure whether that argues against the family being Jewish. Re your Irish ancestors have you tried the Facebook page the Irish DNA Registry, which has a chromosome segment comparison tool. cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 April 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies Margaret and cb. We didn't know about the Facebook page the Irish DNA Registry and my sisters going to have a look. Our cousin has a lot of known Irish Ancestry on her fathers side and it will be of interest to her too.
It is annoying when you contact someone and they won't reply though. Overall I think we're happy with our results and my daughters now received her kit.  ;D
Thanks Maureen.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 April 18 16:39 BST (UK) »
My husband has Philips ancestors from Worcestershire, not far from Warwickshire. Thomas Philips was born in Droitwich in 1656. I am not sure whether that argues against the family being Jewish.

I have links to a PHILIPS family (note the single 'L').  They don't claim to be Jewish. Spanish, Breton or anything other than Londoners within living memory, although they wouldn't mind being related to the Dutch electronics people :D

Their family legend is that a Scottish ancestor called PHILPS moved to England, where the locals constantly called him PHILIPS/PHILLIPS, so he gave in and added the extra 'i' to save having to keep correcting them.

Carol

OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch