Author Topic: Residents of address in Dunbar 1950  (Read 1969 times)

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Residents of address in Dunbar 1950
« on: Thursday 29 March 18 17:14 BST (UK) »
I am trying to Trace relatives arriving in UK after the War from Singapore
I have found a Sailing of The Empress of Australia arriving in Liverpool from Singapore on 17 Dec 1950 The address of the Wife Only travelling is listed as :-  The Cliff, Dunbar, E.Lothian
she may therefore have been joining her Husband who was known to work in Scotland for awhile in this period.
Is there a Voters List or Gores Directory for that address, around that period,
 to see who lived there.
Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Residents of address in Dunbar 1950
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 March 18 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Scotlands People have some online valuation rolls up to 1935. Anything after this would require a personal look up at the relevant reference library. You could also contact here and request some assitance www.johngraycentre.org/about/archives/

The 1935 Valuation Roll shows the full address as HOUSE AND GARDEN THE CLIFF 3 BAYSWELL PARK, DUNBAR.

Modern refs include the postcode EH42 1AE  See here https://pa.eastlothian.gov.uk/online-applications/propertyDetails.do?activeTab=map&keyVal=0005WAGNLI000 Includes a map to help with location. Google maps also let you view the actual property.

Whether the owner of the property in 1935 (a Daniel Smith) connects to later in 1950...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gilmorgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm a former resident of Dunbar.  The address could be Sea Cliff which is/was the name of a house in Dunbar.  If you are able to access a map of Dunbar, it was in East Links close to Golf Road.  Quite a large house on a very steep slope - in my childhood in Dunbar, the lady who lived there had goats to keep the slope mowed.  Sorry but I can't recollect her name.  There is a Facebook page called Lost Dunbar - maybe if you posted something there, one of the locals may have better information.  They all have good memories.  Good luck.  Gillian

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica and Gillian for your time and advice, sorry it's taken me this long to Thank You, not sure what happened there, got side tracked onto other things probably.

Anyway as a Result of joining Lost Dunbar and Scotlands People I found pictures of the place 3 The Cliff and also think I have found the Birth Certificate I have been looking for.

Cheers both.

Alan
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the update! Great you found what you needed.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk