Author Topic: Depear / De Pear family  (Read 7853 times)

Offline alexreg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Depear / De Pear family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 May 19 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael. Who do you for sure you’re descended from? I have indeed found out more about the Depear family, though some of it is tentative. Maybe easier to communicate via email?

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 May 19 16:42 BST (UK) »
I took a look at most of the evidence and have come to the same conclusion as AMBLY.

Someone else is working on this line. Published on Family Search.

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/GM2G-QG2

Offline alexreg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 May 19 17:56 BST (UK) »
I took a look at most of the evidence and have come to the same conclusion as AMBLY.

Someone else is working on this line. Published on Family Search.

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/GM2G-QG2

Yes, me too, even before I got firmer evidence. :-) As it happens, a few months ago I managed to obtain John William Depear's marriage record in Colorado, and this firmly linked him to the Holbeach John James William Depear. I also had a DNA match on MyHeritage confirming this. Going back beyond the 19th C is the main challenge now... there are some complexities.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 03:48 BST (UK) »
Looking at this thread, I see that Matthew Depear bp.2/3/1825 Holbeach was the son of Matthew Depear and Jane Harwood married 5/1/1824 Holbeach.

On 1841 census Matthew and Jane are both shown as 40 - bearing in mind that ages were rounded down in 1841 he should in fact be shown as 50.   I note that he was a Town Crier.  He died in 1842 and was buried 22/4/1842 Holbeach aged 54 (bc.1788).    However, he was a couple of years older as he was bp.19/9/1786 Holbeach, son of Matthew Depear and Frances Burton who'd married 22/9/1782 Whaplode.

This Matthew Depear died 1825 and was buried 26/5/1825 Holbeach aged 77.   He was in fact bp.9/2/1749 Holbeach, son of Mark and Susan.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 13:51 BST (UK) »
Marriage;
16 May 1853, All Saints, Holbeach
Matthew DEPEAR, Gather MATTHEW
Mary Ann BROWN, Father JAMES

Marriage;
03 May 1742, St Mary, Whaplode
Mark DE-PEAR to Susannah SPEEK

Source FreeREG

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline alexreg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 19:31 BST (UK) »
Looking at this thread, I see that Matthew Depear bp.2/3/1825 Holbeach was the son of Matthew Depear and Jane Harwood married 5/1/1824 Holbeach.

On 1841 census Matthew and Jane are both shown as 40 - bearing in mind that ages were rounded down in 1841 he should in fact be shown as 50.   I note that he was a Town Crier.  He died in 1842 and was buried 22/4/1842 Holbeach aged 54 (bc.1788).    However, he was a couple of years older as he was bp.19/9/1786 Holbeach, son of Matthew Depear and Frances Burton who'd married 22/9/1782 Whaplode.

This Matthew Depear died 1825 and was buried 26/5/1825 Holbeach aged 77.   He was in fact bp.9/2/1749 Holbeach, son of Mark and Susan.

Annette

Right. This is really complicated, and has had me stumped a while. My Matthew Depear was definitely the child of Matthew Depear born approx 1791 - 1801 and Jane Harwood, born around the same time. There were at least 2, maybe 3 Matthew Depear's born in this area from 1786 - ~1801. Nor am I a descendant of the even older Matthew Depear & Frances Burton (a very young widow when they married, maiden name March), whom I have confirmed was not my ancestor. The one who died 1842 was married to someone other than Jane Harwood; I forget whom. And he was a farmer, never a the town crier.

Now, the Matthew Depear husband of Jane Harwod (and father of Matthew Depear born 1825 husband of Mary Ann Brown) was indeed the town crier, and before that a grocer and draper (i.e. shopkeeper). I have one or two newspaper mentions of him, and he's on the electoral register in 1826. The newspaper mentions his marriage to a "Miss Jane Harlewood", both of Holbeach town, in 1824. Matthew and Jane actually emigrated to the US (first New Jersey and then Brooklyn, NY) in the mid-late 1840s, a few years after the birth of their youngest child. Most of their children accompanied them, except for the ones who were already married, which include my ancestors Matthew Depear and Mary Ann Brown. Matthew died some time after 1850 (in a US census in New Providence, NJ) and 1865 (Jane listed as widow in NY census if I remember right). There's a death record for Jane in the 1870s as I recall.

Now, there is a Matthew Depear born 1790 in Moulton (near Holbeach), who later moved to Holbeach with his parents (as a child), which is the one I consider to be the most likely candidate for my ancestor... not 100% sure though. Not found any record of Jane Harwood's baptism. I entertained the  possibility she may be non-conformist, but that would be odd given they married by banns in Holbeach. Possible though. I wonder if she had two names and the names on her baptismal record was different, since a few Harwood's were born around the 1790s to early 1800s in nearby Cowbit and Gosberton.

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts, would be glad to hear.

Offline alexreg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 00:01 BST (UK) »
In case anyone is curious, here is the 1850 US federal census showing the Depear family:

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=8054&h=4360625&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=CYc1151&_phstart=successSource

And the 1865 New Jersey census of the Pick family (Lucy, one of their daughter's, married a Pick, and the mother is living with them by this point). "Hellen" and "Jane" are presumably the mistaken for each other. "Hellen" (Ellen) is a sister of Lucy and another daughter of Matthew/Jane. I presume Matthew is dead by this point. Possibly still alive in 1860 though, since although I can't find him or his wife Jane in the census for that year, Jane is not living with any child of hers that I can tell. I know the son John Depear died in the Civil War in 61/62, since his widow Ellen claims his military pension in 62.

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=try&db=General-7218&h=1989035

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 12:43 BST (UK) »
The name David seems important to your Matthew/Jane as they seem too name 3 Sons that died David.
Born 1831/1834/1835 and died 1832/1834/1836

I did also notice that one Ellens Bapt 1838 (Elen on FreeREG) Matthew was a attorney messenger and the 3 Davids above have the same occp for their Father.

The Matthew who was buried 22 Apr 1842 was age 54 (1788)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 12:59 BST (UK) »
I presume you know that Sarah Jackson was a Widow when she married Matthew Depear?
Matthew was a minor.

Her 1st Marriage was likely to Isaac Jackson 10 Oct 1774, he was from Northamptonshire.