Author Topic: Cannot rename folder .  (Read 2389 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot rename folder .
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 March 18 18:10 BST (UK) »
Grrrrrrrrr, it won`t let me do that. I deleted  the shortcut on the desktop. Made a new folder in Documents, tried to move  folders I want to the new folder, and  it`s back to  square one.

It won't because something is "still in use"....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 March 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
 I`ve even tried renaming without opening the folder in Documents, just using the list, where else can it be in use. I`m baffled.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 March 18 18:38 BST (UK) »
It won't because something is "still in use".... and the pathway to it can not be moved while it is  "still in use". because the computer notes where it came from and where it is to be returned to!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 March 18 18:44 BST (UK) »
If you Google "the action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program windows 8"
there are a number of answers on how to fix it..

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline haliared

• RootsChat Senior
  • The future rests upon the foundations of the past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 March 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
I'm running a different version but this might work for you.
When this happens to me I open Task Manager, go to Applications, select the one that is supposedly open and then press End Task. Then close Task Manager.
It might take about a minute to take effect but that usually does the trick for me.
Census & BMD information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 March 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
this problem happens frequently to me, using 8.1
I used to curse it but that didn't work !  ;D  ;D  ;D

I found that if I close down all open folders even if nothing to do with what I'm doing, and wait a few moments, it then is usually OK when I reopen the file in question.

Mine happens when I am transferring newspaper scans for Ryerson Index work.  I send some to a Dropbox file and keep another copy on my computer plus one on a USB.  A couple of nights ago I noticed that I still had one of the folders open, that I had copied a file into from the one I was trying to rename.  When I closed that folder I had copied into, it let me do what I wanted with the original one.  So somehow the computer 'thought' the file was in use even though not in that folder!

Must be a quirk of 8.1 ??? ???

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 March 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
Just uplugging a USB drive without using the "remove hardware" option might confuse the operating system.  I am guilty myself though. It saves a whole second every time.

Martin

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 31 March 18 13:06 BST (UK) »
Wilcoxon, your file naming convention made me laugh.

Martin

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 31 March 18 13:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's why I suggested copying and pasting files, rather than moving them. At least one file in the folder is flagged (perhaps wrongly) as "in use" by a program. That means you can't change the folder name or move the file to a different folder. The "program" needs to be able to update the file in the original folder (where it "remembers" it is). That's why Windows stops you from changing the folder or filename or moving or deleting the file As long as a file is flagged as being 'in use" by a program, it and its folder address are protected.

Copying doesn't change the file or the folder name. You may get a warning that a file is 'in use' but since you're not changing anything, just making a copy, you should be able to do this and paste the files into a new folder. When you try to delete the files in the 'old folder' you'll get an error message for just the files that are flagged as being 'in use'. At least you'll then know which file it is. It's often easier to resolve 'protection' issues for individual files rather than for folders in which one of 50-100 is flagged as 'in use'.

Mike

Grrrrrrrrr, it won`t let me do that. I deleted  the shortcut on the desktop. Made a new folder in Documents, tried to move  folders I want to the new folder, and  it`s back to  square one.
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.