Author Topic: William ROBERTSON 1888, Stroma, Canisbay  (Read 1908 times)

Offline shellhath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William ROBERTSON 1888, Stroma, Canisbay
« on: Friday 30 March 18 18:11 BST (UK) »
I'm looking someone to kindly assist or point me in the right direction - this is my first post on this website.

My ancestor, William Robertson, was born illegitimately to Diana Robertson on Stroma, Canisbay on 1 Feb 1888. His mother's name and occupation (domestic servant) are stated on the birth record which I obtained from Scotland's People. But because William was illegitimate, the father's name is not documented on the birth record. Diana was born on Stroma/Canisbay on 26 Feb 1854 to William and Christina (nee Manson) Robertson.

I believe it is possible to 'Find the Father' of illegitimate children, and in most cases this incurs a fee. Does anyone here know where this information can be found? I'm desperate to find this info, which will hopefully answer a lot of questions my family has had about William Robertson for many, many years.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: William ROBERTSON 1888, Stroma, Canisbay
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 March 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi shellhath

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Very often, illegitimate children knew of their reputed father and his name would crop up unofficially in their marriage or death certs for example. Also, a child may have used the name of his father for one of his children.

Guessing no clues from William's details?

The local Kirk may have had something to say on the matter too and a record made. These records are in the process (for quite of a while sadly) of being digitised and will ultimately be available to view and search on Scotlands People.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 18 19:54 BST (UK) »
No surviving Kirk Session records for the period you need it seems:

Here is a list of the surviving Kirk session records for this parish.
Minutes 1652-1661, 1706-1738, 1747-1855
Accounts 1832-1864
www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Canisbay,_Caithness,_Scotland_Genealogy

Monica

Offline shellhath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 March 18 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

Thanks for the welcome!

William added 'Cecil' to his forename before he met and married my great grandmother in Southern Africa in the early 1900s (I believe he did this after he left Scotland). After they were estranged, during WW1, he then added 'Rutherford' to his surname, as it suddenly appears in his military service records, and also in merchant navy records after the war.

He had no sons, only my grandmother and her sister. However, my grandmother was named Cecil Rhoda, but apparently this was in honour of Cecil John Rhodes, as my g-grandmother's family were pioneers on Rhodes's Column to Rhodesia.

Shell

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 March 18 20:33 BST (UK) »
Shell, as you have found, hard to know where to pick up the thread for possible clues to his father. His mother, Diana shows in those censuses around the time as living at home.

Rutherford is not a common Scottish surname of the time. There is one Rutherford showing in the 1881 census, a James Rutherford born c 1859 who was lodging in Thurso. From 1881 to 1891 is too many years really.

Monica

Offline shellhath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 March 18 21:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, Monica. Yes, Rutherford not a common name at all, it seems. Oh well...

Shell