Author Topic: Heritage Hub - Hawick vs. ScotlandsPeople Centre Edinburgh  (Read 2220 times)

Offline USCRx

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Heritage Hub - Hawick vs. ScotlandsPeople Centre Edinburgh
« on: Friday 30 March 18 20:29 BST (UK) »
   I will be part of a genealogy research trip to Edinburgh in May, and will be researching in the ScotlandsPeople Centre, the Scottish Genealogy Society, the National Library of Scotland, and the National Archives. My 'Jeffrey' Ancestors came from Fogo, Chirnside, and Foulden Parishes (pre-1815).
   I am also planning to visit the Heritage Hub in Hawick for more Borders research. My question is: what archival material can I see at the Heritage Hub that is not available at the research places in Edinburgh? Will I be duplicating my research by visiting the Heritage Hub? Would it be more beneficial to visit the archives at Berwick-Upon-Tweed? Some of my focuses will be nonconforming church records, emigration records, probate records, and Kirk Session records for Foulden, Chirnside, Ayton, Fogo, and Coldstream parishes.
   Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Heritage Hub - Hawick vs. ScotlandsPeople Centre Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 March 18 00:08 BST (UK) »
You will find (if the records have survived), a large portion of what you mentioned in Edinburgh.  I also believe the Kirk Session Records still lay in Edinburgh.  The Hub's collection is online, http://www.heartofhawick.co.uk/g_heart/info/19/heritage_hub/12/collections

The Woodhorn Museum (Berwick) have only a few Scottish Records and their collections are online as well.  But they are not open everyday.

Is it worth the trip to Hawick...yes, Edinburgh can be quite stressful in the summer.  And if you take the A1 to Ayton then go west you will pass through the Parishes you mentioned.  Its an easy drive.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 March 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
You will find (if the records have survived), a large portion of what you mentioned in Edinburgh.  I also believe the Kirk Session Records still lay in Edinburgh.

I thought the Scottish Borders original kirk session records, including those for Berwickshire, were recently transferred from Edinburgh to the archive in Hawick? They certainly seem to be in the Hawick archive from the entries in the National Records of Scotland and Hawick catalogues.

In any case the Hawick archive is one of the few in Scotland that provides access to the kirk session records for the whole of Scotland in digitised form. It is rare now to see the original volumes, and even in Edinburgh you would usually view the digitised records.

The Hawick archive has a lot of additional records, though many of the key ones are for later than 1815 eg their school admission registers are usually later, as are their parochial board records for later poor relief. But I would recommend a visit if you can manage it, especially if you find useful material in the HUBCAT catalogue.

Offline USCRx

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 April 18 01:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for these thoughts. Sadly, my time in Scotland is limited, and I'm eager to maximize it. It was recently suggested to me to visit the Archives in Berwick, which might have more pertinent information about emigration. But I don't have time for both Berwick & Hawick, so I was hoping for some clarifying comments. I think I'll go with my original plan - Hawick.