Author Topic: Trying to find the Death Certifcate for William Davidson, Barony Parish  (Read 2804 times)

Offline KennethDavidson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find the Death Certifcate for William Davidson, Barony Parish
« on: Saturday 31 March 18 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find the death certificate for my GG grandfather, William Davidson (died 1904-1909). In particular, I'd like to check for details on his parents.

William Davidson was born in London about 1828 and moved to Glasgow in the 1840's to work as a house joiner in the emerging West End of Glasgow. I have a marriage certificate for him from 1850, and all his Census records from 1851 to 1901. He died sometime between 1904 and 1909.

I've checked all the online ScotlandsPeople records and, as far as I can see, none match.
Is there any other source of Death Records?

Many thanks,

Kenneth.
Davidson, Gibson, Douglas, Cairns, Robertson, Stanners, Anderson, Edmond, Samuel, and many more!

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find the Death Certifcate for William Davidson, Barony Parish
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 March 18 13:35 BST (UK) »
There is no other source for Deaths except for a possible obit in the Herald.

If you have him in the 1901 Census where was he living and is he still there in the 1905 Valuations (also available at SP)?

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 March 18 13:52 BST (UK) »
He may not have died at home and therefore the record might be in  a different district  :-\

Kay

Offline KennethDavidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 March 18 13:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Don.

I had a look through the online Glasgow Herald when it first started a few years ago, and saw nothing relating to him. It did show up an obituary for his daughter's death in 1909.

I see him registered in the Glasgow GPO book for 1904, but missing in the 1905 edition. Also, his is registered as deceased on his daughter's Death Certificate in 1909. His address is missing from the 1905 Valuation Rolls.

I'm not so concerned about when he died (within the above date range), its more about where/when/to whom he was born.

Thanks,

Kenneth.  :)
Davidson, Gibson, Douglas, Cairns, Robertson, Stanners, Anderson, Edmond, Samuel, and many more!

Offline KennethDavidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 March 18 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Kay,

Indeed! I've tried looking around for a suitable person, but I really need to know where his parent's lived and then, where/when he was born. Its all a bit circular at the moment.

Thanks,

Kenneth.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 March 18 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hard trying to locate a death for him ? He is listed on the Electoral Registers 1905
Address 1 Gladstone Place Glasgow occupation joiner  ...Same address as 1901 Census

Rosie

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 March 18 14:11 BST (UK) »
The index of wills and testaments at Scotland's People has an entry for William Davidson, joiner, 160 West Graham Street, Glasgow, d. 16/07/1909 at Glasgow, intestate. Plus many other William Davidsons, though I think this was the only one who was a joiner in Glasgow.

The death indexes have a number of possibilities for a W.D. in the Glasgow area in 1909 (eg Kelvin, Govan, Hillhead) - if you have some idea of his age, you might be able to pick the right one. Or someone who knows Glasgow better than me might be able to tell you exactly where West Graham Street is.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 March 18 14:26 BST (UK) »
The probate for William Davidson 1909 Graham Street mentions a son George Davidson not seen a George with this family in any census records ..so don't think it's him

Rosie

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 March 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
West Graham Street was in the district of Milton (now Cowcaddens area) and runs parallel the Buccleuch Street.  However, as a previous poster said, if he died in hospital eg in Dennistoun or Rutherglen, his death would most likely be registered in that area.

Gladstone Street is about a 10min walk away (to the north) of West Graham Street.

Did he have a middle name? 

You have his 1850 MC (so before statutory records began?).

Have you found him on the 1841 census in "London"?  On the later censuses, what is his place of birth?  If "London", it usually means the City of London.  Parts of what we now call London are Middlesex, Surrey, Kent etc. 

Genealogists don't die, they just lose their census.