Author Topic: Lost pubs in Burnham  (Read 3300 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lost pubs in Burnham
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 April 18 19:38 BST (UK) »
On the 1901 Census the property that follows the "Brickmaker's Arms, Henry Scott, beer retailer" on Lent Rise is Dewstraw Farm. You can see Dewstraw farm on this 1897 map 

http://maps.nls.uk/view//101450137

and there's a "B.H." just north of it on Lent Rise. 

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 April 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
South Bucks Standard, 7 Dec 1894
HOLDOVER - A holdover of the license of the "Brickmaker's Arms", Lent, Burnham was granted from James Allder to Henry Cosh.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 April 18 20:39 BST (UK) »
The South Bucks Standard, 21 May 1909, has a licensing renewal article about the Rose and Crown "the High Street, Burnham" and mentions "The house was situate next door to a licensed house and very near to another." The licence was referred for compensation. The tenant was named as Joseph Herbert.

I can see him on the 1911 Census, no longer a beer retailer and he is next to a licensed premise - which is named (cannot disclose details -T&C FindMyPast) and which I think is still on the High Street (street view).

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 April 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
Cannot access the 1872 beeerhouse list - so if I am duplicating entries already known my apologies.

On line newspapers are often a good source for pub info. The are several mentions of the "Dropmore Inn, Littleworth Common". Checking old maps I can see a Jolly Woodman, Littleworth Common marked - but not the Dropmore.

The New Inn was in the High Street - "83 yards from the Red Lion". The 1908 newspaper article is about there being too many pubs in the locale and a challenge being made to renew the New Inn's Licence. The landlady in 1899 is a Mrs Alice June  Montgomery but the 1901 census entry for her ("a licensed victualler") doesn't identify the house number.

The Beer-House list, downloads automatically, when you click on the link 'View the List', on the BucksCC. web site.
It may have downloaded without you realising it. ;) :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 April 18 08:36 BST (UK) »
I had no problem finding/downloading the file. Unfortunately, it requires "Office" to open - which I don't have.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 April 18 10:08 BST (UK) »
"The Feathers, High Street"

The houses are not numbered but "walking" the 1901 Census the entries run (Schedule Nos in brackets) -

(194) - Church Street
Workmen's Reading Room and Engine House
(195 - 197) - Pin Yard
(198 - 202) - High Street
(203) - The Feathers, Henry Siffleet, beer retailer

This appears to put it at the southern end of the High Street?

Also, re. the Rose and Crown, it's next to the Swan Hotel on the 1901 Census. Is The Swan now The Olde Swan, High St, Burnham? The 1909 article about the Rose and Crown's  -licensing application describes it ""The only room for public consumption was a tap room and bar combined. The tenant had been at the house 40 years ... The trade was very small".

Some of those mentioned in your original list are beer houses rather than public houses, the main distinction, I think, being that beer houses did not have a licence to sell spirits, mine hosts being described as beer retailers rather than publicans.   

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 April 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
Here is the 1872 list.

Year when Licence was first Granted - Name of Occupier.- Name/Address of Owner - Name/Adress of Lease holder.

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 April 18 12:06 BST (UK) »
bucksboy,
Magic - and thanks. I've hit many of the names checking the newspapers/census. The name "The Garibaldi" brings back memories - we lost our "Garibaldi" some 15 years ago.

Must dash - just off to visit my own local beerhouse/public house!
regards,
hanes