Author Topic: Loyal Mcleod Fencible Regiment of Foot  (Read 424 times)

Offline Jeannetta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Loyal Mcleod Fencible Regiment of Foot
« on: Sunday 01 April 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
I have a GGG grandfather Robert Mcleod, (b. about 1776) in Sutherland, Scotland, who was in one of the Fencible units and deployed to Ireland.  While there he met and married Francess Liddle, (b. 1782 Londonderry)  and they had their first child in Londonderry, in 1800.  They returned to Robert's Scotland where he was disbanded, and they went on to have a further seven children.  I know that there is a Robert Mcleod listed in the Reay Fencibles, but am unable to find out any other details.  And so I am wondering if he may have been in the Loyal Macleod or Princess Charlotte of Wales Fencible Regiment under Col. John Macleod of Colbeck.  I have read that men in the Fencibles had to get permission to marry and their prospective wives had to be of a certain calibre.  Therefore, one could expect there to be records of such marriages.  Robert would only have been of an ordinary rank I expect.  Once back in Scotland he was a crofter in Strathy, Sutherland.  Can anyone suggest where I might be able to find records of men serving with Princess Charlotte's regiment? Thank you.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Loyal Mcleod Fencible Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 April 18 17:44 BST (UK) »
This is the only thing I could find.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/c/F95256

And this what the record contains...Clothing Account Only.

You can email the NRS historical_enquiries@nrscotland.gov.uk in Subject enter the Reference Number CS96/4184

Country code GB
Repository code 234
Repository National Records of Scotland
Reference CS96/4184
Title Princess Charlotte of Wales's Loyal McLeod Fencible Regiment. Ledger
Dates 1798-1801
Access status Open
Location On site
Description Index
Commanding officer: Colonel John McLeod of Colbechs. Recruits include Irishmen and from Newcastle and London. Clothing account.
Level Item
Extent 149pp
Previous numbers Process: CS236/C13/1

Good luck

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Jeannetta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Loyal Mcleod Fencible Regiment of Foot
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 April 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Don.