Author Topic: Saving Family Tree to Disc  (Read 2004 times)

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
Saving Family Tree to Disc
« on: Sunday 07 August 05 02:00 BST (UK) »
I need help! ::) ::)

Being a newbie to computers and their workings this may sound a silly posting but I have my family tree on a Legacy 5 program and I would like to save it to a CD disc in case heaven forbid the computer chucks a wobbly and crashes.

What program would I use and I'd like to continually add new information to the disc as it comes along.

Cheers Juddee
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline Patk

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Saving Family Tree to Disc
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 August 05 03:58 BST (UK) »
Dear Juddee
Go to the help menu and choose Backup and follow the instructions. You will find " back up family file on FILE" at the top of the page. Usually your file is backed up to a zipped folder, when you close, you can change this to back up to your disc drive, remembering to have the cd in the hole. (Then change it back to legacy Zip, and your hard drive if you want to.) The legacy programme is quite forgiving and you need to experiment to find out what suits you best.
I usually do three back ups of my  Legacy file, every month or so, and when I have entered say any significant data. I also back up one report which encapsulates all  families, ie multi descendants, and a media back up for photos. Probably there are others who can add to this, but I think you have to sort it out for yourself, and make notes of the procedure, after a while it will become easy.
Do hope this helps, as it is vital you back up your work.
Pat
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bouncing Emails

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 August 05 04:05 BST (UK) »
Regarding adding to the disc, you will need to make sure that you have either a re-writeable ("CD-RW") disc and burner, or that the program you use to write your discs has an option to create a multi-session disc.  Some programs only allow you to write once to a normal ("CD-R") disc.
Also beware!  CDs are not infallible storage media, make sure you keep more than one copy of your files and store your CDs in a cool, dark, dry place.

Prue

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 August 05 04:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Pat for the reply and how you manage your information.

I feel so  ??? ??? at times when I don't know what to do or how to go about it.  Perhaps it has something to do with all those brain cells I killed off enjoying myself in my younger days  ;D ;D

Thanks PrueM for that,  I'll definitely make more than one copy .  It's taken me blood sweat and tears as well as the odd tanty over many years to get where I am now.  Not to mention money!   I certainly don't want to go back to square one again! ;D ;D

Again many thanks to you both.

Cheers Juddee
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline Patk

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 August 05 04:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Juddee
Let me know how you go on. I did not find it easy at first, and for a while I avoided back ups, all the time praying the cat would not pull out the power lead.
If I can help further I will be glad to.
Pat
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bouncing Emails