Author Topic: Green, Wells/Tiverton/Bishops Hull  (Read 1223 times)

Offline CookieA

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Green, Wells/Tiverton/Bishops Hull
« on: Monday 02 April 18 23:05 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with a lookup of the 18881 Census?

I am researching James Green b about 1832 in Bishops Lydeard and Harriett Barber b about 1830 in (Kenton). However I can't find Kenton, this comes from the 1871 census.

On the 1881 census, I've found 3 of their children, Harry Green (age 19 b. Wells), Kate Green (age 14 b Tiverton) and James Green (age 12 B Tiverton); I happy that these are the right children as ages and places of birth match. On the transcript of the 1881 census, these three are recorded as son or daughter, but no parents are recorded.

If anyone has access to pictures of the original census for Bishops Hull in Somerset, could you look these up for me and see if the parents are recorded? I am particularly keen to see the place of birth of Harriett.

Thanks,

Andy
Somerset - Pole, Hill, Strong, Hartnell, Walk, Thorne, Miller, Paddock, Green, Barber, Newick, Hancock, Blackmore, Rawle
Herefordshire - Cooke, Cook, Bright, Virgo, Bridges, Williams
Shropshire - Bright, Potter, Freeman, Woodfield, Prince, Wintridge
Grangemouth/Falkirk - Boyles, Hannah, Hogarth, Dunn, Rankine, Miller, Carlaw, Alison, Thane, Crawford, Johnston
Renfrewshire / Ayreshire / Argyleshire - Currie, Watson, Taylor, Glover, Bannatyne
Dublin - Hammond
Antrim - Darroch, Lundy, Crosier

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Green, Wells/Tiverton/Bishops Hull
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 01:04 BST (UK) »
The parents are on the bottom of one page and the children on the top of the next and for what ever reason the family have not been transcribed together.

Harriet is said to be born in Butleigh, Somerset.

Added:
On 1861 she is also listed as born Butleigh. She is with son William Barber age 2.

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 01:16 BST (UK) »
It is possible that Kenton is a short version of Keinton Mandeville which is only about four miles from Butleigh.

Offline CookieA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 April 18 18:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Glenclare, you are a star, this has helped me get back another generation.

Andy
Somerset - Pole, Hill, Strong, Hartnell, Walk, Thorne, Miller, Paddock, Green, Barber, Newick, Hancock, Blackmore, Rawle
Grangemouth/Falkirk - Boyles, Hannah, Hogarth, Dunn, Rankine, Miller, Carlaw, Alison, Thane, Crawford, Johnston
Renfrewshire / Ayreshire / Argyleshire - Currie, Watson, Taylor, Glover, Bannatyne
Dublin - Hammond

Offline CookieA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 April 18 20:15 BST (UK) »
Next problem with the Greens!

I've found James Green baptised 1832 in Bishops Lydeard, along with siblings Elizabeth (1827), Mary Ann (1830) and possibly another James (1823). All born to James Green and Maria.

I've searched everywhere for James and Maria Green (and name variations), no record of marriage in Bishops Lydeard. I've searched in 1841 and 1851 census records both around Bishops Lydeard and around Wells as James jnr married in Wells in 1861 so the family might have moved. No joy.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

I've found a family of Greens in Bishops Lydeard a generation older. George and Catherine with children William (1761), Betty (1765), Anne (1767), George (1770) and John (1775). James Snr could be the son of one of these, ages would be about right, but no records of a birth in Bishops Lydeard.

All thoughts as to what to try next gratefully received.

Thanks,

Andy
Dublin - Hammond