Author Topic: Niel Black (1804-1880) Argyllshire-Australia: 'Black' Ancestors/Family Tree  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Niel Black (1804-1880) Argyllshire-Australia: 'Black' Ancestors/Family Tree
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 09:29 BST (UK) »
I have searched every single site I can think of with just about every variant name.
It is quite probable that their records, if they ever existed, have not survived.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

The long and short of it is that if it's not on Scotland's People, it's very unlikely to be on any other site, because the vast majority of the information on other sites is either indexes to or transcriptions of the original records on Scotland's People.

You have, I assume, searched for Black as Dubh or Dow?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Niel Black (1804-1880) Argyllshire-Australia: 'Black' Ancestors/Family Tree
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 01:27 BST (UK) »
Archibald Black and Janet McChananich (Buchanan) are my 3rd great grandparents through Jane Black their daughter who married Lachlan McNeill as mentioned earlier in this thread.

As it happens I was researching Janet this past weekend. There is a OPR for a Janet McChannich on Scotland's People "Janet daughter of Duncan McChannich of Auchdethnanbeg (or something like that)and Jane Smith baptized 19th January 1761." Duncan and Jane Smith also have a daughter Margaret baptised on 14 Dec 1762.

There is also a Mary McChannanich born to a Duncan McChannanich and his spouse Catherine Nic Muire in Auchdacheerenbeg in on 26th March 1738. Presumably a different Duncan.

A possible candidate for the father of Janet is Duncan McChananich born to Neil McChananich and Elizabeth McChallum in"Auchnalebaile"baptised on May 28th 1744.

Finally Scotland's People has a will of Donald Mc Ochananich feuar of Auchdacheranbeg who died "in the month of Apryle one thousand six hundred and ninety four years" in favour of his son Duncan McOchananich and John McOchananich (though I can't quite make out whether John is another son or some other relation)

Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)