Author Topic: BRACHER birth in Wincanton  (Read 943 times)

Offline Linus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BRACHER birth in Wincanton
« on: Wednesday 04 April 18 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I am looking for a birth date for a girl Lucy Jane BRACHER - parents George and Elizabeth (nee HOWES).  Lucy died aged 9 and I have her burial details that she was buried Feb 4 1837 at St Marys Sherborne. This would give a calculated birth year of 1828. Most important is the hope that a birth record will confirm her parents as George and Elizabeth.

Thanks.
Beaulock, Bracher, Bullock, Burgdorf, Burghard, Deans, Fryer, Hall, Hester, Hodgson, Hughes, Johnson

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: BRACHER birth in Wincanton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 14:22 BST (UK) »
Nothing on Family Search around that time - one in 1823 but parents  James & Susan and Lucy has no middle name. Have you tried freereg

www.freereg.org.uk/search/index.shtml

EDIT - nothing on freereg
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
James and Susan's daughter Lucy is still with them in 1841.

I see that George and Elizabeth are non-conformists, and that other children were all baptised on the 30th June 1837 at Sherborne wesleyan Methodist:
Elizabeth b 3 December 1823
Emma Sophia b 2 April 1825
Mary Ann b 12 May 1826
John Howes b 27 June 1829
Nathan b 10 March 1832
Jethro b 15 June 1834

So they were living in Sherborne in 1837, and don't seem to have had any of their children baptised in earlier years
There are no other Bracher burials at Sherborne in this time frame, and Lucy's probable birth date is consistent with her being born to this couple.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 17:28 BST (UK) »
Sherborne Mercury 1837

DIED
February 2, at Sherborne, Lucy Jane, youngest daughter of Mr Bracher, manager of the Wilts and Dorset Bank, in that town.

I can't see George in 1841, but in 1851 he is an employee of the Wilts and Dorset Bank in Salisbury.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk