Author Topic: Islay Ancestors  (Read 20447 times)

Online raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Islay Ancestors
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Marlin
              good to hear still hard at it first gailer you ll find is actually jailer,
and your most probably correct they would only have spoke gaelic most
islanders in Scotland still use gaelic as their first language when speaking amongst themselves
even to this day can be quite funny at times imagine yourself asking 2 locals directions 1 replies
to you in english and the other contradicts using gaelic who s directions do you follow,
L on the census most likely indicates lodger that does nt mean they re not grand kids,
i went through the islay births for Flora and found 2 that could be her the fact they gave her
age at time of death in years and months would mean who ever registered her death knew
what month she was born and that suggests  late january or february so ill look again as
there is Flora births for those months and approx year i looked at the 15 year old and i thought
could be living with grandparents,
i went through the oro,simcoe census's back to 1841 and my opinion is there was a mass exodus
of MacArthers and Gilchrists left islay for Canada, tracing them tells me they are all connected as they are all on the same pages in they census,
so far i can find no Flora MacEachern on the 1841or 51 Simcoe census which suggests she went to Canada sometime in between 41 and 51 and married inside that time frame in saying that i ve still to check islay 51 census to see if she s still there,
i cant remember if i sent you the link to where i get my info if not i ll send it

Online raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
   attachment has the 2 best option in islay births for flora

Online raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 14:50 BST (UK) »
the 2 most likely candidates

Online raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 14:55 BST (UK) »
the tirvagarn Flora the mother is Flora Currie

Offline Marlid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McArthur (McEachern) Islay Ancestors
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 April 19 02:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Raonull4
This is similar to solving a puzzle.  I have gone on line to look at Islay maps and also one I brought home with me when I visited and I cannot find Tirvagarn - is this a village or town on Islay.  As I think it is almost certain my great grandfather was from Kildalton, I suspect she would have been from there as well.  It might even have been an arranged marriage - for that reason I am leaning towards the Flora from Kildalton.  However, there are a number of Currie families in Oro - originally from Scotland - so because the mother's name is Currie, the other one could be her.  Do you know if Tirvagarn is near Kildalton.  It would be interesting to know if she was still in Scotland in 1851.

Looking forward to hearing from you
Marlid   

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 18 April 19 05:56 BST (UK) »
It may be an idea to list the children in order of birth to Peter & Flora which may be of help if the Scottish naming pattern was used?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 18 April 19 09:49 BST (UK) »
Morning
            Tirvagarn is most likely a farm name, i ll pose that question to Freddie my cousin
he still lives on Islay,
to answer the naming question im a Ronald from a long line of Ronalds and Malcolms every generation of my familly has both back to 1806,
the tirvagarn familly looks to have disappeared on the 1851 census, there is McEacherns there but its a different familly

Online raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 18 April 19 10:05 BST (UK) »
Marlin
         i can t find an Annabell in births or marriages only that 1 on showing on the 41 census
1 possibilty is its a Jura familly thats moved over onto Islay, other possibilty is she was also known as Hannah or simply Anne thats happened in my own familly

Online raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 18 April 19 10:44 BST (UK) »
an offer of land if Donald McEachern moves from Islay to Canada 1943