Author Topic: Semple brothers emigration from Northern Ireland to Canada 1920s  (Read 6783 times)

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Semple brothers emigration from Northern Ireland to Canada 1920s
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 05 April 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
Canada Voters List - 1974 - Thomas Semple - (retired) 37 Princemere Crescent Scarborough York Ontario.
Also living same address - Arthur Desrochers (retired) and Mrs Laura Desrochers.

Sandra

Thank you Sandra.  Looks like I'll have to take out a months subs to extend my Ancestry to cover Canada so I can go through these and try and pinpoint where the various families ended up.
McGrath (Mitchelstown, Cork and Manchester)
Armstrong (Ballinamallard, Fermanagh)
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)
Miller (upto 1880s Clones, Monaghan, from 1880s Sancton and Market Weighton, Yorkshire)
Donnelly (Collegeland, Armagh/Tyrone)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 April 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
Canada Voters List 1957/58 - Charles Semple (machinist) Ruby and Walt Homer (butcher) and Mrs Shirley Homer (meat packer) - Broadview Ontari.

Canada Voters List 1974 - Charles and Ruby Semple (retired) - residing Apt 717 Kingston Road. Greenwood Ontario.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 April 18 13:17 BST (UK) »
Canada Voters List 1963 - William Homer (butcher) and Mrs Shirley Homer -47 Benlamond Avenue. Danforth Toronto - also at same address Mrs Edith Bateman - sec.

Canada Voters List 1965 - William Homer (butcher) and Mrs Shirley Homer Deanvar Avenue. York Scarborough Ontario also Mrs Edith Bateman - secretary and Margaret Bateman - clerk.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 April 18 13:27 BST (UK) »
Canada Voters List 1949 - Arthur Semple  - paper box employee - and Lita - 60 Galt Avenue Broadview. Ontario. (also a Herman Moorcroft - painter at this address)

Canada Voters List 1974 - Arthur Semple - security guard - 273 St Pauls Street West. St Catherines, Ontario.

Sandra

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 05 April 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
Canada Voters List 1963 - William Homer (butcher) and Mrs Shirley Homer -47 Benlamond Avenue. Danforth Toronto - also at same address Mrs Edith Bateman - sec.

Canada Voters List 1965 - William Homer (butcher) and Mrs Shirley Homer Deanvar Avenue. York Scarborough Ontario also Mrs Edith Bateman - secretary and Margaret Bateman - clerk.

Sandra

Hi,

I think the W and S that Sandra posted in reply #19 are correct (different W name - was a butcher).  I found the obit for Edith Bateman from reply #20.  She is the mother of this S and the late Stanley.   The Bateman/Homers are not part of the csjjpm's Semple family.   

RK

ADDED - Rethought that.... perhaps the second W and S could also be related.  I don't know for sure.  I only know that this S is the daughter of Edith Bateman. 

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 April 18 14:50 BST (UK) »
In case this is your Charles and Rebecca...

Rebecca's obituary is in the Toronto Star 16 April 1983, page A14.

Rebecca (Ruby) Semple died on April 15, 1983.  Wife of Charles Semple.  Mother of Norman and J  Semple, both of Kingston; S (Mrs W Homer), J (Mrs J Howard), B and Ronald Semple, all of Toronto.  Grandmother of 13, great grandmother of 3.  Interment Pine Hills
Cemetery. 

RK

Are they not the ones in the obituary of Rebecca (Ruby) ??

Sandra

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 April 18 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Norman Charles Semple's obit just has the name S - no mention of her husband's first name.  Ruby's obit just has S's full first name, but husband is listed by initial W. Homer (no full first name).  Charles's obit is the same.  S's first name is given in full, but her husband is W. Homer (no full first name... just the initial.) 

You found a Walt Homer, wife Sh.... living with Charles and Ruby (Reply 19).  This must be the correct S and W Homer. 

The next finding was a William Homer with wife Sh... living with Edith Bateman.   Edith is the mother of this Sh... and this Sh... has a brother (deceased) named Stanley. 

This made me wonder if there were two W Homers, butchers, married to women named Sh....!!  ??? 

Toronto Directories here....
https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/history-genealogy/lh-digital-city-directories.jsp

Looking at 1964, there is a Walter Semple Homer, working for Canada Packers (this is a meat packing company) living at 103 Marjorie Ave.  There is also a William J Semple Homer, butcher, living at 47 Benlamond Ave.

RK

Modified... got my Semples and Homers mixed up!!  Sorry :P

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 April 18 15:40 BST (UK) »
Canada Voters List 1974 - had Walter Homer (formulator) Shirley Homer (housewife) and a "R"
2575 Danforth Avenue Greenwood

Sandra

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 05 April 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
1958...Walter T Homer, works for Canada Packers, living at 103 Marjorie Ave.  There is also a Charles Semple listed at 103 Marjorie Avenue.   

There is a William C Homer and a William R Homer in the directory... no William J Homer, butcher in 1958.  Perhaps William, the butcher, moved to Toronto later??  Or he is younger and isn't listed on his own yet?  Could he be the son of Walter and Sh...??   Or am I stretching too far ??? ???

RK