Author Topic: Jardine/Burns marriage  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jardine/Burns marriage
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 May 18 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, 
Just came across the Death details of David's wife Elizabeth Greenelsh, (proper spelling).  She died at 11.50pm on the 4th April 1895 aged 71, from Chronic Bronchitis, which had plagued her for many years.  David Middleton, her Grandson was informant to the Death.

I do have more info: on her Parents etc. if you want them.............Ron.

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 May 18 09:43 BST (UK) »
Will have a look for the Marriage details for James..........

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 May 18 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I had a quick scan but it seems it'll take longer; but with little info: it makes all the more difficult.  We do know they exist as we have them on the Statutory Register, as man and wife and the parents of David..  Will have a proper search later today and get back to you................Ron.

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 May 18 10:30 BST (UK) »
You're amazing Stob Ban thanks again. On the marriage for David and Elizabeth 1843 Woolwich, it lists Elizabeth's father as William Greenhalgh corporal Royal Artillery. On closer inspection, father of groom is Francis Burns. Now I'm confused!!!! There is also an Army birth for Elizabeth in Ireland 1825. In the census it gives her place of birth as Ireland. David and Elizabeth's 3rd daughter, Sarah Jane married James Middleton in 1872. It also mentions on 1861 and 1871 census, Davids birthplace Applegarth. Mmmmm!

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 May 18 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi mlmcholm,
Now I know how you are confused it's simply that David & Elizabeth were married in Woolwich, which is The Royal Military Acadamy & Barracks, in Greater London.  Looking up Statutory Records in Scotland won't get you information for that part of their life.  I presume they were a Military family. He probably served in the Military in England; that's a whole new ball-game.  Elizabeth's Father is correct as I wrote, but David and Francis Burns are down in London, England, during the period you require, ''seemingly you have them''.......David Burns & Francis Burns, probably his Father after all, were soldiers.................Ron.

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 May 18 20:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Stob Ban  but I'm confused as to why the father's name on the death cert is James. It's obviously the right David because of the wife, Elizabeth Greenhalgh and she is a widow on the 1881 census, living in Kirkmichael

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 May 18 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Yea it is a bit mind-boggling, but ref: David and his wife they obviously came back from England  to Scotland to live as she was Recorded in the 1881, Scottish Census proved this..  David too, all living in Kirkmichael.     That makes sense.

Now as far as Francis goes, I have no trace of him in Scotland, anywhere, Birth, Marriage or Death. Even after a really good search, although he could have been  a ''visiting soldier'' from another Country!!    The 'entry' he being the Grooms Father;  could have acted as a ''Stand In'' for David or just be a simple recorded mistake....Ron

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 May 18 10:25 BST (UK) »
Stob Ban, in your opinion then, have I to assume James or Francis as the 'real' father? Did you manage to find a marriage for James and Margaret? The name Margaret makes sense as the name is carried through. Shame David didn't have any sons! That may have answered the question. Many thanks again

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 May 18 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi mlmcholm,
I'm looking for James Burn's married to Margaret in Dumfries plus surrounding area ,but alas no luck. I've been in touch with a friend who resides in Castle Douglas, Dumfries, and is well versed in genealogy and history in the Dumfries area. I'll let you know what he finds out.....will be in touch......R