Author Topic: UK centric Family History computer program?  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Norm Weston

• RootsChat Member
  • Norman Weston Killed in Action 1943
    • View Profile
UK centric Family History computer program?
« on: Friday 06 April 18 12:26 BST (UK) »
I recently returned to researching my family history after quite a long break. I have used Legacy Family tree for decades as my genealogy computer program and have until recently been happy with it. My concern is, I think they sold out to MyHeritage! I followed their advice to upload my complete gedcom to MyHeritage which I soon realized was quickly copied. Since then I am bombarded with smartmatches (I am sure copied from my own data) which I would then have to subscribe to in order to view.

Although I do like Legacy and have got used to how it works, I wondered is there an alternative which may be more suitable for mainly UK based genealogy. Sorry for the rant but I would appreciate any recommendations.
Attwood Bettles Birchall Coles Culshaw Doherty Donnelly Downs Freeman Greaves Misledine Ormandy Robinson Rutherford  Thorlby Tilley   Weston

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: UK centric Family History computer program?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 April 18 12:37 BST (UK) »
I'm not really sure what you are asking here?

Any genealogy program can be UK-centric.
It's only when you link the data to an internet site that things get complicated!

But that's 2 very different things:
1. Your software program, on your PC; using your data. That should stay local to you.
2. An Internet site and/or program. Not sure that any of them are purely UK-centric?
(the internet doesn't respect National Boundaries?)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 April 18 12:41 BST (UK) »
Family Historian used to promote itself by saying it's UK centric. I've used it for over 10 years and am very happy with it.

http://www.family-historian.co.uk/

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 April 18 13:11 BST (UK) »
I second the vote for Family Historian.

It is a British product

http://www.family-historian.co.uk/about-calico-pie
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 April 18 13:35 BST (UK) »
Another vote for Family Historian.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 April 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
Make that 4 for FH ;D

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Norm Weston

• RootsChat Member
  • Norman Weston Killed in Action 1943
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 April 18 15:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the advice. I will perhaps try the 30 day trial of FH to see if I like it. I can compare it to Legacy whilst evaluating it. From what I can see it gives smart matches from 'Find my Past' so I hope it isn't in the same situation as Legacy with My Heritage. Thanks again.
Attwood Bettles Birchall Coles Culshaw Doherty Donnelly Downs Freeman Greaves Misledine Ormandy Robinson Rutherford  Thorlby Tilley   Weston

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 April 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the advice. I will perhaps try the 30 day trial of FH to see if I like it. I can compare it to Legacy whilst evaluating it. From what I can see it gives smart matches from 'Find my Past' so I hope it isn't in the same situation as Legacy with My Heritage. Thanks again.

No, it's completely independent. Hints from FindMyPast are optional, and you can get them from MyHeritage too if you want, but I don't use either. You can read more about this feature at
http://www.family-historian.co.uk/aidm

It's a very capable program, but it can take a bit of getting used to. There's an active user group with associated forum and knowledge base, which may be worth having a look at.

More info at https://www.fhug.org.uk/

Key Features for Newcomers at
https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:key_features_for_newcomers
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 April 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
When FH finds possible matches on FindMyPast, you just see a little green circle next to the person's name with the number of matches in it.  It's quite unobtrusive and I believe you can turn that feature off if you want to.

If you click on the green circle, you get an indication of what's been found but you'd need a subscription to FindMyPast to see the details.  You can also hit 'reject' and that match shouldn't come up again.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch