Author Topic: Parents of Robert Scott born abt 1817 in Potto, Yorkshire  (Read 2811 times)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of Robert Scott born abt 1817 in Potto, Yorkshire
« on: Sunday 08 April 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi I am hoping someone could help find the parents of Robert Scott as I have been trying to piece together his family but have hit a brick wall.

Robert Scott was my 3x great grandfather, from the census it states he was born in about 1817 in Potto, Yorkshire. I haven`t found his birth.
On 20th Jun 1838 in Stokesley he marries Ann Boult. Witnesses were James Boult and John Scott
They have about 12 children namely James born 1837 Stokesley, Alice 1839 Stokesley, Mary Ann 1841 Doncaster, Margaret 1843 Newcastle upon Tyne, Esther 1847 Newcastle upon Tyne, George 1849 Potto, Elizabeth 1850 Middlesborough, Robert about 1851 Potto, Jane 1853 Middlesborough, Sarah 1858 Middlesborough, John Scott 1860 Middlesborough
James Scott born 1837 was my great great grandfather.

Looking at the census for Scotts born in Potto around the same time I found a Miles Scott born abt 1819 in Potto Yorkshire, No birth for him was found. On the 1851 census Miles is living in Middlesborough and his neighbour is a James Scott born abt 1817 in Potto Yorkshire. I also found a John Scott on the census born abt 1826 in Potto which I think is also linked as on the 1851 census John Scott is living with his mother Mary Scott in Stokesley and there is a 4 year old named Alice Scott who was born in Middlesborough. Alice was the daughter of Miles Scott born 1847 in Middlesborough and she died in July 1851. There were no boths found for either James, Miles,Robert or John but they all seemed to fit nicely.

Mary is born abt 1784 in Kildale, Yorkshire and widowed according to the 1851 census so I was looking for a potential husband and father and found Miles Scott born 1792 in Kildale who died in 1838. His parents were James Scott and Elizabeth Dale. I sent off for his death certificate and it states he was killed by a blow from a horse. The Miles is quite an unusual name but this could fir nicely with Marys son Miles and given the naming patterns Miles father was James.

This is where the dead end is. I found that Mary Disappears after the 1851 census and found a death for Mary Scott in Stokesley so sent off for her certificate but when I received it says aged 80 daughter of James Scott, agricultural labourer.

Now I am wondering whether Mary wasn`t actually married, was Miles Scott that died n 1838 her brother? or is there another Mary Scott death. James Scott who was Miles father did have a daughter born 1785 in Kildale. Any help would be much appreciated

Susan

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Robert Scott born abt 1817 in Potto, Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 April 18 09:34 BST (UK) »

On 20th Jun 1838 in Stokesley he marries Ann Boult. Witnesses were James Boult and John Scott

Who did it name as his father and what was his occupation

ADDED I see the transcript has the marriage as 1836 so if this is true it won't have fathers details
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 April 18 09:51 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - marriage entry states that the marriage is "with consent of parents" - so perhaps suggesting that one or both parties were under age.  Witnesses are James Bolt and John Scott = possible parents.  I also see that the forename Jane has been crossed through and John inserted in relation to Scott.

:-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 April 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
Looking on the Genuki Yorkshire pages Potto comes under Whorlton

Robert Scot(sic) baptised Whorlton October 1816, mother Mary Scot, a Spinster. Abode Potto.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 April 18 10:01 BST (UK) »

Who did it name as his father and what was his occupation

ADDED I see the transcript has the marriage as 1836 so if this is true it won't have fathers details

Hi Rosie
sorry that should be 1836. James Bolt was Annes father but I dont know if John is Roberts brother or father  ::)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 April 18 10:05 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - marriage entry states that the marriage is "with consent of parents" - so perhaps suggesting that one or both parties were under age.  Witnesses are James Bolt and John Scott = possible parents.  I also see that the forename Jane has been crossed through and John inserted in relation to Scott.

:-\

Hi BumbleB

I didnt notice it was with consent of parents. I know that Ann was born in 1817 so that would make her 19 when she married

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 April 18 10:05 BST (UK) »
A 33 year old widower called Miles Scott married a widow called Bessy Hind in Middlesborough 13 June 1853. His father is named as Miles Scott, a labourer.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 April 18 10:11 BST (UK) »
Looking on the Genuki Yorkshire pages Potto comes under Whorlton

Robert Scot(sic) baptised Whorlton October 1816, mother Mary Scot, a Spinster. Abode Potto.

Emeltom

Oh now that does make sense. Thats brilliant.Thankyou  I wonder if he did have siblings or if James,Miles and John were cousins

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 April 18 10:17 BST (UK) »
There is another baptism in Whorlton- John Scot 2 Jun 1822 - mother Mary and abode is Potto.  And a baptism for Miles Scot 18 Aug 1819 - mother Mary.
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)