Author Topic: One Burrow too many  (Read 983 times)

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
One Burrow too many
« on: Tuesday 10 April 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
I have a fairly tidy picture of my Burrow ancestors:

Edward Burrow 1773-1850, owned Well Farm in Little Witley from 1824 until his death.
His son Thomas Burrow 1818-1896 took over the farm as well as managed his own farm at Hazel House near Shrawley. He sold his father's farm in 1857 and lost the Hazel House Farm to bankruptcy in 1858. He packed up and shipped to NZ with his family in 1859. I have all the data I need for Edward's family and Thomas's family.

All very neat. But today I discovered there is one extra Burrow at Well Farm who doesn't fit into the family. An 1855 newspaper column announces the wedding of Thomas Burrow "of Well Farm, Little Witley" to Lucy Dudley.

Census data quickly revealed that this Thomas Burrow was born in Claines in 1828 and I have obtained parents Thomas Burrow and Jane Bett, who married in Claines in 1825. It looks like they both died very soon after the birth of their first and only child. Young Thomas is with one unrelated family in 1841 and then another in 1851 and of course is with my Burrow people on the farm by 1855.

>>> I would rather like to know how he connects to my Burrow ancestors. Can anyone help link him back to the old man, Edward Burrow? Perhaps Edward is young Thomas's uncle or grand-uncle? 
This is a very awkward time in history as it predates the census years and the civil BMD registers.

Young Thomas's parents, Thomas snr and Jane Bett would likely have been born 1800-1805 in or near Claines, Ombersley, Shrawley.

Thanks for your help.

-DC

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: One Burrow too many
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 18:55 BST (UK) »
There is a Thomas Burrow baptised Ombersley 26 September 1802, parents William and Sarah

Edward Burrow baptised Ombersley 1773, parents Thomas and Mary appears to have a brother William, baptised 1771, parents Thomas and Mary.

So, if I've got this right
Edward has son Thomas born 1818
Brother William has son Thomas 1802 and this son has a son Thomas born 1828 so he's Edward's great nephew.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 00:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Emeltom.

Can I ask what resources you used to get the baptism info (including parent names) for Edward & William Burrow?

-DC

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 01:20 BST (UK) »
Just to expand on that question, I have accessed the Worcs baptisms via FindMyPast, FreeReg and the LDS archive on FamilySearch, and none of them find a baptism for Edward Burrow circa 1773.

Is there some other resource that you are using to obtain this data?

Cheers
-DC

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 09:23 BST (UK) »
Try looking for Edward Berrow instead of Edward Burrow. I just clicked on the Name Variants on FindMyPast

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
As simple as that.... I have been trying to get Edward's parents for a long time.

Cheers Emeltom