Author Topic: Peter Copland abt 1782 - 1852  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Copland abt 1782 - 1852
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 April 18 11:36 BST (UK) »
perhaps a scout round Rathven and surrounding cemeteries.
The extant stones in Rathven/Buckie/Enzie were recorded by the Council in 1978-1979 and the results are indexed in LIBINDX libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp. I did look there but didn't find anything on Peter and Isabel, so barring transcription errors there isn't a gravestone.

Plan a day or two in Edinburgh before you get here for the legwork.

It is possible that there might be a mortcloth record in the Rathven kirk session records. These are held by the National Records of Scotland. They have been digitised but are not (yet) available on Scotland's People. You can view them in the Historical Search Room in General Register House in Edinburgh, or in the Aberdeen City Archives.

A lot of the land in Rathven was part of Seafield Estates, and indeed the online 1865 Valuation Roll shows Knowhead of Findochty as belonging to the Earl of Seafield. There could well be some rental records in the Seafield Estate archives. These too are in the Historical Search Room in Edinburgh. (I found in the Seafield Estate archives an actual letter written in 1771 by my several-greats-grandfather offering to rent a farm from Seafield Estates in Rothes, and rental records than enabled me to pin down to within a year when my ancestors took on or gave up the tenancies of farms around there.)

Take a good look at the NRS web site and catalogues before you go there, as it takes a while to get familiar with the cataloguing and indexing system, and also some documents may have to brought in from external storage and need to be ordered in advance. See https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/

One thought that might be worth bearing in mind is that there were a lot of Roman Catholics in Rathven, and specifically in the western part of the parish, known as Enzie (pronounce it "ing-y") and they included some Copland families. I still have some distant Copland relatives who are RCs, and there was a Monsignor John Copland (1920-2002) who was incumbent of the RC church in Keith.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 April 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian I will make Edinburgh my first stop, thank you so much for your help.
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 05 May 18 08:02 BST (UK) »
Re Peter Copland who married Helen Brown at Old Machar in 1809:  This is the Peter who died in the Poorhouse in 1862, quarrier.

Helen Copland, nee Brown also died in the Poorhouse, in 1860. The informant on her death record is her son in law, Charles Nicol, who married their daughter Isabella in 1836

milford, greenhalgh, childs, norman, (england) tripcony, drew, thomas, boddy (cornwall), hendry, harrold, riach, gray, grant (scotland)

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 05 May 18 18:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Emjaye :).
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn