Author Topic: 1891 Scotland census - help please - with citation and deciphering address  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Macushla

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello, all,

I'm hoping that someone with access to the 1891 census can assist me.

I have a reference for an ancestor in the 1891 census, James KERR, in the parish of St Cuthbert, Leith. His and his family's details are on page 50, schedule number 265, however, I cannot read the address - is it 106 Bonnington Road?

I'm also having trouble reading the places of birth for James and his family.

Lastly, as this is the first time I will be adding a census to my tree, I'm hoping someone can give me an example of how I should cite the details on my programme.

Hope this all makes sense and is not too much to ask.

Many thanks,
M.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 Scotland census - help please - with citation and deciphering address
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
I would agree it is 106 Bonnington Rd --with several families living at that same address.

Birth places -- look like -
James - South Leith
Margaret -- Gorebridge?
James (the son) --Edinburgh (shortened)
Agnes -- South Leith.

As regards saving it to your family tree -- I am not technical but can you not simply save it onto your computer and then upload it onto your tree as a photograph (apologies if this suggestion is absolute rubbish!)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi M

Are you looking at the original image?

A/try uses this reference Parish: St Cuthberts; ED: 25; Page: 50; Line: 8; Roll: CSSCT1891_365

Scotlands People use 692/2 25/ 50 as the reference which is slightly different...a matter of choice really as what you decide to use.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 18:26 BST (UK) »
I strongly recommend using the references from Scotland's People, because this is the source of the original documents.

The full thing would, I suppose, be "National Records of Scotland, 1891 Census, Edinburgh St Cuthberts No 692/2, Enumeration District No 25, Page 50." But I'd abbreviate it to "NRS 1981 Census 692.2/25/50" and put the full thing in a list of sources.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Macushla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 22:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Pennines, MonicaL and Forfarian, I appreciate your help.

Pennines, I also thought it was Gorebridge in the birth details, thank you.

MonicaL, I have a paper copy of the original.

Many thanks to you all for the advice on the source citation; I will do as you recommend, Forfarian. And I will also attach and image to the tree, Pennines  ;D

I am something of a pedant and I get stuck on things like this; now I can move forward!

Another question if I may; when entering information from a census, do you add the census address for each individual for that date? Or just for the heads of the household?

Thanks again, from Adelaide in South Australia where we have had hot summer weather in what is supposed to be our second month of autumn - 3 days of 35 degrees celcius, or 95 fahrenheit. Our garden is confused!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 22:41 BST (UK) »
Another question if I may; when entering information from a census, do you add the census address for each individual for that date? Or just for the heads of the household?
I think it's up to you.

I transcribe the census data for the whole household into the 'marriage notes' box for the parents' marriage in my program, and then I copy the address line into the individual notes box for each person listed so that I can see at a glance where they lived when, and also where there are gaps.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Macushla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 April 18 22:17 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Forfarian. I get tangled up in the detail and worry that I am going to enter information the 'wrong' way. Can't imagine what I'll be like if I decide to make a tree public!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 April 18 23:04 BST (UK) »
Don't worry. There are trees out there showing people whose children were born before they were, or long after they died; trees showing people with the wrong wives and parents; trees showing people living hundreds or even thousands of miles from where they really did live, and so on. Not forgetting trees of Norse gods and other mythical beings. As long as you avoid that sort of pitfall, and you do say where your information came from, I doubt that anyone will be fazed by the exact details of how you record them.

Offline Macushla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 April 18 00:37 BST (UK) »
Cheers and thanks, Forfarian  :).