Author Topic: 1891 Scotland census - help please - with citation and deciphering address  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 Scotland census - help please - with citation and deciphering address
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 April 18 04:29 BST (UK) »
trees showing people living hundreds or even thousands of miles from where they really did live, and so on.

Precisely!

I found one on a tree on Ancestry, not 100s of miles away, only (82 mls) but a 4 hr ferry journey (in this era) so maybe a bit less if direct (as the crow flies) back in the day, however...

She had her chidren on South Uist but was having children with another husband on the Isle of Skye too (can't remember what the overlaps were) but strangely she was always at home in every census with her Uist husband & children.

I did get in touch with the owner of the tree as I have every record available from SP & explained common sense would say no-one would be taking a boat trip to be in the same place on every census night & suggested (with my proof) the tree owner check who was in their ancestors house on census nights of each of those years but to also check her dates for births of children from SP which would give her both parents names & their marriage date/place...
Solved in an instant as she had been using transcriptions for all her info. on censuses & info. from other trees on births which were definitely wrong with kids unknow to me in my tree born on Skye overlapping my true family which was humanly impossible.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"