Author Topic: Alias Huggins and Kemp! Orston  (Read 743 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Alias Huggins and Kemp! Orston
« on: Thursday 12 April 18 11:49 BST (UK) »
I'm once again trying to locate the origins of an ancestor of mine, Elizabeth Higgins, who married William Leake in Orston, Notts, in 1790. Her gravestone suggests a yob of 1756 so if this was her first marriage, she was quite old. (William was a widower).

Anyway, there are no Higgins in the Orston records apart from this marriage but there are a few Huggins- but I've just realised that these are recorded as "alias".

I only have transcriptions from the FHS CD, I haven't seen the records, but the transcriptions show the following at Orston, with father's name Huggins:

1774 12 26   Son   Benjamin   Thomas   HUGGINS   Jane   ORSTON St Mary   Alias KEMP
1775 11 20   Son   William   Thomas   HUGGINS   Jane   ORSTON St Mary   Alias KEMP
1777 04 02   Dau   Mary   Thomas   HUGGINS   Jane      ORSTON St Mary   
1780 09 04   Dau   Elizabeth   Thomas   HUGGINS   Jane   ORSTON St Mary   Alias KEMP
1785 04 12   Son   Jonathan   Thomas   HUGGINS   Jane   ORSTON St Mary   P.  Alias KEMP
1787 04 19   Dau   Mary   Thomas   HUGGINS   Jane      ORSTON St Mary   P.

and then the same children (except for Mary 1777, who wasn't listed as "alias") under the father's name of Kemp, alias Huggins.

There are 2 obvious infant burials under Huggins, none under Kemp:

1779 03 18   Elizabeth   HUGGINS      Orston   Dau of Thomas & Jane     (note this does not match the baptism above but must have been an older child)
1783 05 16   Mary   HUGGINS         Orston   Dau of Thomas & Jane   

I'm guessing that Thomas and Jane weren't married but have never seen this "alias" listed before.

If anyone is going to the records office, would it be possible to look at the PR to see if this makes it any clearer? -- who was Huggins, who was Kemp? any other comments or anything that might help?

and does anyone have any other theories re this "alias"?

thanks!

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Alias Huggins and Kemp! Orston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 April 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Annie,Thomas Kemp was the bastard child of Elizabeth Kemp baptised in Orston 8 Dec 1745.He was my husbands  5x great grandfather.He had the children with Jane Huggins and as you say they are baptised under both names.

There was another Elizabeth baptised 25 Dec 1772 and buried 18 March 1778 in Orston.

I come down through William baptised 1775, who married Elizabeth Parks on 24 Sep 1798 in Langar.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 April 18 13:01 BST (UK) »
hi larkspur - I wondered if the family hopped across the county border - my Orston links seem to have wandered around Stathern, Langar etc as well, and I don't have access to details of baptisms across the Leic border.

From what you've found out, do you think that my Elizabeth Higgins might have been part of the family? As I said, her tombstone suggests a yob of 1756 but of course that might not be accurate. Her last child was born 1795 so she could have been a little older than stated. Children were John, Robert and Elizabeth (her husband had already had William (x2), Thomas, Richard and Ann with his first wife).
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 April 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry Annie, I have no other details on Jane H*ggins- have not found a baptism, marriage or burial for her.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley