Author Topic: Hoping to date this photo of boy with train  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hoping to date this photo of boy with train
« on: Friday 13 April 18 22:45 BST (UK) »
I would be most grateful for any idea as to when this rather strangely posed picture was taken. It was produced on a metal plate, sized about 3" x 2".
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hoping to date this photo of boy with train
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 April 18 13:44 BST (UK) »
I would say early-mid 1890s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 April 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol. That would certainly narrow it down a lot.
The picture was found amongst my Mother's things and there is now no-one to ask about it.
The picture was in a little frame with a string hanger, so must have been displayed as quite significant to someone in the family.
- Cynfran
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 April 18 14:03 BST (UK) »
If you have the original and would like it restoring....scan at a resolution of 300dpi...you will need to amend the subject title to include a repair. The photo is a mirror image and would look like this>
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 April 18 14:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the kind offer Carol, I'll have to see if I can find it. How interesting about the picture being a mirror image, was that due to the process involved?
-Cynfran
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 April 18 14:25 BST (UK) »
Yes that's right.
Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 April 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
I wonder if it could be three generations...Two sisters with their Father in the middle and their Husbands with the children.
Carol

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 April 18 09:08 BST (UK) »
It's certainly a thought thanks Carol, or possibly two sons and families?
Based on your estimation that photo taken in early 1890's, then the younger men could possibly have been born around 1860-1870 and the older perhaps 1830's ?
- Cynfran
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 April 18 09:22 BST (UK) »
What a brilliant photo, and such a shame you don't know who they are.  :'(

Perhaps I am imagining it, but the woman behind the older child seems to have badges on her jacket? So a uniform of sorts perhaps?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.