Author Topic: Supporting documentation for John Jones, Lydia Williams, Leah Emazine Jones  (Read 4033 times)

Offline chandmer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi All, first post.

I've been compiling a family tree and supporting documentation on familysearch.org, with forays into ancestry.com and various BMD databases, focused on Australia, where my family has lived since about 1850.

My father's line (Handmer) becomes Jones about 6 generations back - I think Handmer/Hanmer/Anmer/Amer was a "silent" middle name prior to this time. The unit that emigrated to Australia was John Jones (b. ~1816 in Shropshire or North Wales/Snowdonia?), Lydia Williams (born ~1814 in Oswestry Parish, according to her death certificate), and Leah Jones, later Leah Emazine Handmer-Jones, (b. November 1840 in/near Trefonen). John and Lydia married on January 1 1845 in Wolverhampton (I have the certificate). Lydia's parents were called John and Ellen according to her death certificate. John's father was also John, according to his marriage certificate. John Jones' death certificate (likely between 1865 and 1875 in Victoria, Australia) has not been found.

Ship list can be found at http://www.familyhistorysa.org//shipping/passengerlists.html (search Lydia Jones).
I recently found a record of Leah's christening (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JQRK-CB7) but I don't have a copy of the original documentation, nor any real idea of how to get it - do people just call up the church and ask?

I have searched through the 1841 census with a fine toothed comb and haven't found any sign of John, Lydia, and little Leah. By family tradition, they had about 4 other children who died in infancy before moving to Australia - I am descended from their second surviving child and first surviving son.

I am looking for *any* supporting documentation that might throw light on this mystery. In particular, birth/death records for other children, census records for the family in 1841, and birth records from c. 1815. We're not quite sure how Hanmer got mixed in, perhaps John Jones' mother's family name? I'm also unsure of John Jones' mother's name, but if the naming pattern of his children is anything to go by, he and Lydia had a "Leah" and a "Mary Ellen" as nearby female relatives.

Any insights, suggestions, sources, methods, or sympathy is very welcome!

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Supporting documentation for John Jones, Lydia Williams, Leah Emazine Jones
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 18 10:57 BST (UK) »
The Parish Registers for the Parish of Oswestry, Chapel of Trefonen have a baptism on 6 November 1840 for Leah Jones, parents John and Lydia, abode Trefonen, occ. Labourer.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 18 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat  :)

I recently found a record of Leah's christening (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JQRK-CB7) but I don't have a copy of the original documentation, nor any real idea of how to get it - do people just call up the church and ask?

You can find her baptism and image of the entry on FindMyPast in their Shropshire records collection.  FindMyPast is a subscription or pay to view site:

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 18 13:49 BST (UK) »
A thought about the Handmer/Anmer, etc.  Do you know of the parish in Flintshire called Hanmer?

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Hanmer

One of my lines moved from that parish to the Shopshire/Denbighshire borders in the 1750s.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 April 18 15:03 BST (UK) »
There's a possible baptism for Lydia Williams in West Felton, which is not far from the parish of Oswestry- 4 miles from Oswestry:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SAL/WestFelton

Baptism
West Felton 18 April 1813 Lydia d of John Williams (labourer) and Martha.

I'm not sure about the 1846 marriage as John is down as being a Miller but a labourer on Leah's baptism entry.

Gadget

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 April 18 15:26 BST (UK) »
Was it ony Leah who used the HANDMER name, not either of her parents?

Debra  :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 April 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
There's a muddled online tree that has most of the children of John and Lydia as Handmer Jones or Handmer-Jones.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 April 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
Was it ony Leah who used the HANDMER name, not either of her parents?

Debra  :)

No mention of Handmer/Hanmer/alternatives on Leah's baptism record.