Author Topic: Meaning of tripe dealer  (Read 4967 times)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Meaning of tripe dealer
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 23:48 BST (UK) »
Tripe, onions and mash was a favourite of my mothers. I can't stand it but cook it very occasionally as a treet for my OH.

I used to eat chitterlings with a bit of vinegar as a child but don't think i could eat them now, not that many shops sell them.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 April 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
Viktoria's comments brought back memories. Yes we had tripe just as it came from the shop with vinegar and salad. I was always told that tripe was very good for people in poor health and those whose stomach was a bit delicate. I had an aunt who used to make cow heel stew though, happily, I never had to eat it. I couldn't eat anything like tripe now - it looks disgusting and I'm not a great meat eater anyway so the thought of it is not pleasant.
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 April 18 15:11 BST (UK) »
The unappealing Mrs Booker in George Orwells Road To Wigan Pier was a Tripe dealer.   Read Orwells description of her, the premises and the conditions of how the tripe was kept.  It would make todays Health and Safety conscious consumers shudder with disbelief!
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 April 18 18:23 BST (UK) »
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline YrElldee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
WOW!!
Thank you all. I didn't expect such a rich and informative source of information. i think my 3x great grandmother sold tripe as a 'take away' - already cooked and sold to the navvies who were building the railway in Bangor in the 19th c.
I have tasted it on a cycling trip to Normandy in the autumn. It was called Tripe de Caen and it was knee deep in cider and calvados! The chef explained that the windfall apples were eaten by the cow before being slaughtered and this added to the taste.
Thank you all so much.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 08:30 BST (UK) »
I used to love tripe and onions, or the other kind of tripe eaten cold with vinegar when I was a child.  However, I couldn't stand chitterlings or pig's trotters or cow heel (too slimy), brain was OK, tongue I like and still do.

I asked for tripe in a restaurant in France once, and it was disgusting.  I think it might have been chitterlings, anyhow I sent it back and ordered something else.  Being French, they didn't mind and didn't charge me for two meals either.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 08:41 BST (UK) »
In 1977 I was advised to feed my kitten tripe cooked in milk.
I used the pressure cooker, but I remember how much I hated the smell.
I only did a few times as it was so awful!!  :P
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 09:56 BST (UK) »
Quite a few years ago we were travelling in the South of France France and booked into an Auberge or small inn. We decided to have the dish of the day each night during our short stay. Dinner that evening  arrived which looked like tagliatelle or strips of pasta in a creamy sauce. I remember tasting the sauce and finding that it was absolutely delightful. I then cut a strip of what I thought was the pasta and found the taste to be truly disgusting, greasy and slimy. I called over the waiter and in my broken French asked him what it was. "Les tripes monsieur" , he said gesturing his stomach as if to indicate that it was entrails. We then upgraded ourselves from dish of the day to the a la carte menu!

Martin

Offline YrElldee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 July 19 09:17 BST (UK) »
Tripe can also be treated to make handbags as this advert describes: