Author Topic: Huguenot and other research distractions  (Read 2558 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Huguenot and other research distractions
« on: Sunday 15 April 18 21:57 BST (UK) »
I know we all can get distracted in our research sometimes when we see something of interest while looking for something else. But I have to say that when looking at the Huguenot registers of Canterbury (very kindly stored on archive.org), I have trouble staying on task. When I am searching through the registers for a particular individual, I will see someone else's entry, or as a witness, or a marriage to another ancestral surname, etc.
It's probably worse because they were a relatively small community that stuck together, but it makes for very slow progress.
Anyone else have this problem, with the Huguenots or anything else?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Huguenot and other research distractions
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 April 18 22:28 BST (UK) »
All the time. Especially for the English Catholic ones in 18th & early 19th centuries who were all connected to each other in some way. Ditto Irish ones, some from very small townlands containing a dozen or fewer families.
Some of the byways lead back to the main path eventually. Even if they don't, I may have learned something about the community. The knowledge might come in useful later.
Cowban

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 April 18 22:50 BST (UK) »
Distracted? Me?

Of course I do and it has made my research and ancestors come to life, it has given me a 'picture' of their lives, who they knew, what was happening around them locally, nationally and internationally.... and I am off on a tangent researching interesting history or geography.

One ancestor who was charged with a crime and sent to prison, I found his brother in law was a prison guard at the same prison, found that William Marwood ( famous hangman) also was 'working' there...so off on a tangent to research him ( which proved useful today as someone on rootschat asked about him) off on another tangent researching transportation of prisoners to the other side of the world and off on another about prison conditions at that time...it is all one big learning curve.
I only wish when I was at school I had been introduced to family history research as research skills and history would have been a breeze and not hard work
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 April 18 01:38 BST (UK) »
My latest distraction started when I received a copy of a death certificate for a relative who died in the German Hospital, Dalston, in 1904.
So, I looked it up going through some of the titles on the web page and saw 'Derelict London - Then and now pics'. Worth a browse - oh yes, some great pictures and articles about the buildings.
My favourite one was on the house of the 'Hackney mole man' aka William Lyttle - I had a good laugh and still keep chuckling.
I am not much good at doing attachments but it is worth a look.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 10:04 BST (UK) »
I get distracted all the time.  Reading down the census pages I have found sons, in-laws and other relatives a few doors away.
And like  iluleah I have probably learnt more history trying to get to understand the effect of the Corn Laws on my farm labourer ancestors, or why a whole family left Scotland to emigrate to Canada. 
I have also learnt what a whitesmith was and a plumassier.
Jan
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 10:39 BST (UK) »
OK, what is a plumassier then?

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 11:16 BST (UK) »

I don't think I have ever started any research that has followed the straight path, always off at a tangent, something interesting catches they eye and I'm off having a look. It does go a way to understanding how they lived, the circumstances of a situation perhaps, why something happened, even funny happenings.

On more than one occasion I have ended up way off the path of where I started ;D

I think that's why our research is never done. ;D ;D Too many intersting asides!!!
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
Yes indeed, 3SD. But I have to say these Walloon, or Huguenot, registers are a whole new level of distraction. I am still trying to build family units, so scrolling through the baptisms or marriages I keep finding other surnames that tie in as well. Then I have to go back and see how these other names connect. It does get very confusing with all of these family connections.
The only other time I've experienced this much distraction is with my Swedish forebears and the patronymic surnames. That was an experience, with all the Johanssons and Erikssons etc.

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
A plumassier is some one who makes fashion accessories from feathers or plumes - headdresses etc .  Her sister was a gold embroiderer.
Jan
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire