Author Topic: MyHeritage DNA  (Read 2061 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MyHeritage DNA
« on: Monday 16 April 18 04:26 BST (UK) »
Anyone use it?

I was stumbling around chasing families and logged into my MyHeritage account, I dont use it as much as other sites but every now and then it comes up trumps.

They are offering a DNA download facility from any other site as long as you have the file in your computer. I tested with FTDNA and have been happy enough that I hadnt considered other places to upload (gedmatch the only other place)

I have to say the MyHeritage site is more user friendly for DNA matches. Not as tight as FTDNA ie my 2-4th are mostly listed as 3rd-5th or more. Minor thing.

But for just quickly checking links it is easier to use ie scrolling down and click on a link it gives you 'other connected matches' as well as a family tree (if loaded) and an ethnicity match ie you and your match have a high concentration here. Mostly the UK :D but its nice

Interestingly I have 3500 'matches' on MyHeritage and 2000 on FTDNA. That could be anything from a numbers game to how each site determines a match

Like anything I shall take a little from here and a little from there.

Your experiences?

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MyHeritage DNA
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 April 18 04:53 BST (UK) »
I signed up a couple of weeks ago hoping to download my FTDNA FamilyFinder results and get some new matches, but I got a message saying that I was unable to do so as they don't have that facililty as yet..

I will check to see if I can find the exact wording...

Added: I think it might be "user error". I am trying the process again.

Added: I have uploaded my data and am now getting the message "In progress - results expected in 1-2 days". I went through this same process weeks ago.  ::) I'll check back in a couple of days.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 April 18 17:29 BST (UK) »

I find myheritageDNA quite good, as I said recently.  However, the main drawback as ever is the lack of trees, worse at myheritage than Ancestry.

Their tools are better than most sites, Gedmatch excepted, and are updated regularly.

At ftDNA I have only 145 matches, as I did not test there, more distant cousins aren't included with DNA upload.  At myheritage I have 1514 matches, at ancestry many thousands, over 11,000 at last count.

Relatively few positive matches at anywhere other than ancestry, mainly due to lack of trees. Unless the match is very close, I don't contact someone to ask what possible surnames we might share.

Quick tip for myheritage - with a free account you are only supposed to have 250 people in your tree. Upload a gedcom, and you avoid the limit.

Regards Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 April 18 23:24 BST (UK) »

I find myheritageDNA quite good, as I said recently.  However, the main drawback as ever is the lack of trees, worse at myheritage than Ancestry.

Quick tip for myheritage - with a free account you are only supposed to have 250 people in your tree. Upload a gedcom, and you avoid the limit.

Regards Margaret
Thank you for that tip Margaret

I cant compare Ancestry trees and myheritage for trees but there are trees to be had. Some good some bad . I think like other sites there is a crossover of 'ethnicity finders' and 'family finders'

Those people that dont have trees dont bother me , they dont get as much attention as those that do because I figure I can get the information elsewhere , or I ignore them.

To find the trees click on the person and you should see  ethnicity comparisons , close matches to both , chromosome matches and trees (if any) are all in the one page

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Scott, Cronin

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 00:06 BST (UK) »
Just checked and my results seem to be available. I have yet to explore the site and check for any matches. My ethnicity results are broadly similar on my Heritage and FTDNA.

I think some of the differences in results come down to the way they categorise the regions. Although I tested with FTDNA, I prefer the My Heritage categories.

Now I'm interested to see if I have any useful "cousin" matches.  :)

ADDED:
Looking at My Heritage and my "DNA Matches" I find this message:
"Your DNA is being processed to find Matches".

Does anyone know if there is a delay in finding these matches (they have already given me my ethnicity results) or have I done something wrong?  :-\

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 00:12 BST (UK) »
I know my way around myheritage, it has it's pros and cons, just like Ancestry. I think the new segment comparison tool very handy, hope to use it more in the future.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=791029.0

There are trees to be had, as you say, and they are no better or worse than those at Ancestry, but do appear to me to be fewer.

By comparison, as stated before, I have 3 confirmed matches at myheritage, whereas I have nearly 50 at Ancestry.  But there again, I have 1500 matches at the former and over 11,000+ at the latter, perhaps that is the reason.

As you say, "Like anything I shall take a little from here and a little from there."

Regards Margaret

BTW, out of interest I checked your gedmatch number with mine - said yours didn't exist!
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 02:03 BST (UK) »

BTW, out of interest I checked your gedmatch number with mine - said yours didn't exist!
Hmm some reason a number has been left off. T812072

I shall edit. Thanks for letting me know

Scott, Cronin

Online hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 02:27 BST (UK) »
For one branch of the family all the good matches are at MyHeritage, and a new one (1C2R) appeared at the weekend.  Two of the matches have subsequently transferred to FamilyTreeDNA.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 07:48 BST (UK) »

ADDED:
Looking at My Heritage and my "DNA Matches" I find this message:
"Your DNA is being processed to find Matches".

Does anyone know if there is a delay in finding these matches (they have already given me my ethnicity results) or have I done something wrong?  :-\

Standard. When you transfer data, you immediately get basics, matches take a few hours. Check again later today, or just wait for the email.

At gedmatch takes a day or so for 'one to many' matches to come through, 'one to one' you can use straight away.

Regards Margaret