Author Topic: Finding the Robbins families in the 1861 Census.  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding the Robbins families in the 1861 Census.
« on: Monday 16 April 18 12:00 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to chase down a pair of families that were living in Trevethin in 1841 and 1851. They left for Australia in 1864, together, but I can't find them in any census online for 1861. It's like everyone went into hiding that year. Or maybe someone's handwriting is too atrocious to transcribe that year. It's hard to know.

I presume they're unsearchable though the new means, and I'd have to run through the old books page by page in that area. Are there any tips on how to narrow that task down?

The family is Job and Martha Cleaves (nee Robbins).

In 1851. Martha's married, and her brother George Robbins lives with her.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGTL-FC8

In the same year, Her parents George and Sarah Robbins live down the road with the rest of the family.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGTL-F8G

By 1861. I'd presume they'd still be in Trevethin, Monmouthshire. The Cleaves should have 7 or 8 children with them at this point. The parents George and Sarah Robbins might have only their son John Robbins living with them still.

Martha's brother Isaac Robbins would be married with Ann and have a child named Mary Ann. Age 5 or so. I haven't found him either.

All the other siblings have left for Australia already.

Job Cleaves is from High Littleton, Somerset, Martha is from Trevethin, Monmouthshire. Does anyone had have an idea how I'd find them?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the Robbins families in the 1861 Census.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 April 18 13:07 BST (UK) »
What other children did Job & Martha have in the UK after Caroline in 1860
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the Robbins families in the 1861 Census.
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 April 18 13:17 BST (UK) »
Oh no. Pontypool has a little bit missing, though it doesn't say the Trevethin area.
Pieces of Machen too, which is a pain. Probably why I can't find my relative there either.

Caroline was the last child. The one before that was Jabez, so that's a fairly unique name to look for. I imagine their section taking up most of a page. I was able to find their eldest Jane living in Pontypool. She's married under the name Ashman and is working as a servant, age 19. Not sure where her husband John is. Jane came out with her parents. So I know they're around there somewhere.

Damn those missing pages.. Maybe there is still hope for me