Author Topic: Twisted Ancestry Lines - Mary Cronin Lynch  (Read 669 times)

Offline Tara-Leigh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Twisted Ancestry Lines - Mary Cronin Lynch
« on: Monday 16 April 18 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Again ~
I've had such good luck asking questions here I thought maybe someone could help me unravel my twisted family lines.

Here's what I know:

Mary (Ellen) Cronin b 1810 Ireland m John Merrigan 1829 in Blackditches, Co. Wicklow  / 2nd m. Peter Riley - she died 1876 in Illinois.

Now here's where things get twisted.  I had confirmation that her mother was Ellen McCarthy and her father was Patrick David Cronin.  I think at one point I came across information that said Ellen also went by Mary or Catherine and that her father was Daniel Cronin.  So when things got twisted is I have information that all these people may in fact be one in the same...for example her mother could very well be MaryEllen Catherine McCarthy and her father could be Patrick David Cronin and just called him Daniel Cronin.  I also have information that they are all separate people and have had multiple marriages to spouses with simliar names.

Now my tree is all twisted and lines are crossing where they shouldn't be and it has now gotten so confusing I don't even know who to delete or change.  Can anyone PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanking everyone in advance for any assistance!!!!
Tara

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Twisted Ancestry Lines - Mary Cronin Lynch
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
Did your information on Mary Cronin Riley come from FIND A GRAVE   ???

Born 1808 County Cork, Ireland passed away 17 Jan 1876 (aged 67–68 years)
Pittsfield, Pike County, Illinois.

Burial - Calvary Cemetery Pittsfield, Pike County, Illinois.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/92401323

Mary Cronin Riley was the daughter of Daniel Cronin born 1780 in Ireland
and Ellen McCarthy born 1779 in Ireland. Mary Cronin Riley was born in Boherbue,
County Cork, Ireland.

passed away 14 November 1886 (aged 82 years) Pike County, Illinois.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/92401126/peter-riley

Burial -    Calvary Cemetery Pittsfield, Pike County, Illinois.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/92401126/peter-riley

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 15:06 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the link to Daniel Cronin came from the 1850 census Township 6 S 4 W, Pike, Illinois.

Peter Riley   46 born Ireland. farmer.
Mary Riley   30 born Ireland.
James Riley 12 born Louisiana.
Daniel Riley 10 born Illinois
Peter Riley   7 born Illinois
John Riley   5 born Illinois
Mary Riley   4 born Illinois
Joseph Riley   2 born Illinois
Rosanna Riley   0 born Illinois
Daniel Crowner   (changed to Cronin and Crownin) 70 years. born Ireland. Blacksmith.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Tara-Leigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 April 18 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hello
Thanks for the efforts, but this is the info I already have. What I'm actually looking for is about the mother of Mary Cronin Lynch.  I have her as Ellen McCarthy and she married Cronin and Lynch.  However, the marriages I have on these two men don't show Ellen McCarthy they show a Mary Driscoll and a Catherine ?...I'm not sure if these or at least one of them is Ellen and her middle name or other name used is Mary or Catherine...I'm also not sure if the names of the men (Lynch and Cronin) went by other names...so I'm looking for those links and confirmations so I can delete all the other stuff from my tree....

Many many thanks again...could not be where I am without the assistance of you all here.

Tara

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 April 18 04:50 BST (UK) »
Perhaps your search needs to go back to Ireland - what details does it give on the marriages of Mary Cronin Lynch about parents ?

Sandra

Offline Tara-Leigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 April 18 08:49 BST (UK) »
Yes...that's what I'm trying to find out...probably not describing it correctly :)

Some years ago I was talking to a cousin on one of the boards regarding Ellen McCarthy who married both Lynch and Cronin. She gave me the information regarding the daughter Mary Cronin and said that even though the step-dad didn't adopt her she still took on her step-dad's name of Lynch. There were some other stories she wrote about.  Since I've lost all the documents regarding this connection I have been unable to relocate that post....so I'm having to start over again. This is what I have:

Mary Lynch Cronin b 1810 to Daniel Cronin and Ellen McCarthy

married John Merrigan April 27 1829 Blackditches Co. Wicklow Ireland
married Peter Riley  approx. 1838 possibly in Ireland - arrival to USA Aug 21, 1841 possibly 1840 son Daniel Riley b. just after arrival Aug 28th 1940 (?) in Illinois, son Peter Riley b. May 1st 1841in Illinois. John Riley b 1843 Joseph Riley b 1844 Mary Jane "Molly" Riley b 1846 Illinois and Rose Anna b 1850 Illinois. I do show a marriage that took place in Lowell Mass. between a Peter Riley and Mary Cronin in June 25 1846 but I'm not sure that would be for this couple and I'm not sure some of these kids aren't from another marriage that Peter Riley had...just don't know

Now what I do have on her parents:

I'm pretty sure of this info. but could be wrong...I have...

Ellen McCarthy b. 1780 to Dennis McCarthy and Ellen ?

married Daniel Cronin b. 1780 to Cornelius Cronin and Mary Shea
married Daniel Lynch in Kerry, Ireland

I just received a note that says Daniel Cronin was married to a Ellen Sullivan in Ireland. I'm unable to open the document from Ireland so if someone can confirm or check it out for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

The Cronin's came from Kafarney, Kerry Ireland
The Shea's came from Kerry, Ireland
The McCarthy's came from Kerry Ireland

So it looks to me Kerry Ireland is where I might find this info.

Many Thanks Again
Tara