Author Topic: Parents of Jane Noble  (Read 3645 times)

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of Jane Noble
« on: Friday 20 April 18 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hello,  I am looking for the parents of Jane Noble,  born abt 1832 Enniskillen, Fermanagh,  Northern Ireland.
She migrated to Australia on the "David Mciver" arriving in Australia in 1852.
The passenger lists states that her parents John and Martha were deceased.
Jane was COE and could read and write.  She married in Australia one year later and lived all her life in Bathurst NSW raising 15 children.
Thanking all.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Jane Noble
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 April 18 07:14 BST (UK) »
IGP has quite a lot of records transcribed

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/fermanagh/church.htm
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 April 18 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,  I am looking for the parents of Jane Noble,  born abt 1832 Enniskillen, Fermanagh,  Northern Ireland.
She migrated to Australia on the "David Mciver" arriving in Australia in 1852.
The passenger lists states that her parents John and Martha were deceased.
Jane was COE and could read and write.  She married in Australia one year later and lived all her life in Bathurst NSW raising 15 children.
Thanking all.

Hi there,

I think there has been a mis-read of the passenger list for the David McIver.  I think it lists Jane Noble's native place as Dublin City and her then age as 20.  I counted up six entries from the bottom of the page. I read that  Enniskillen is where the two passengers (surname as Nestor) listed immediately above Jane NOBLE were from. 

Please see my post on another thread:
Here is a live link to the 1852 passenger list for the David McIver, it is readily and freely available online from the NSW State Archives.

http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?series=NRS5316&item=4_4790&ship=David%20McIver

Single females include a Mary Doolan (page 9),Jane Noble (page 10)
Single males include a William Doolan and a John Doolan (page 12)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 April 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
There was a Jane Nobel born in Dublin in 1831
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lx6/
but you would need to be able to prove she is the correct Jane.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 April 18 09:16 BST (UK) »
If Dublin is correct then these might be Jane's family-

Jane Noble born 6 Dec.1831, daughter of John & Matilda*, bapt. 19 Dec.1831 St. Peter's (COI) Dublin
Henry Noble born 20 Apr.1835, son of John & Martha*, bapt. 17 May 1835 St. Peter's (COI) Dublin

Also in records of St. Peter's-
Burial: 9 Nov.1837 John Noble, age 26, Mercer's Hospital, St. Kevin's Cemetery

* Martha and Matilda can sometimes be used interchangeably

See: https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 April 18 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, that's really interesting regarding Matilda and Martha being interchangeable I never knew that?   Please don't think me stupid but why would she change names?  for political reasons?   Do you know this site?  when it states that the record is not yet imaged, does that mean that I could get a copy of the original emailed to me?
If this is my Jane,  how interesting she could have had a brother?  it might be worth me pursuing him to try and find a link?
I have just been looking at the history of Mercers Hospital and St Kevins cemetery, both have a very long history.
Thank you so much to everyone,  I will have a good look at this information                                       

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 April 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, Martha and Matilda are interchangeable names in the 19th Century documentation I have transcribed for New South Wales records.   Sometimes it is simply too difficult to decipher the difference between the two possible spellings.  The clerks recording the names sometimes seem to be more interested in scribbling than in record keeping.   Many of the records were recorded under difficult circumstances ... queues of passengers may have been standing in line, with clerks perhaps at a table, documentation facing the clerks.   The passengers may have been like most of us today, unable to read scribble, particularly when it is 'upside down' ie, facing the clerk and not the passenger.   :)

There's many names that are interchangeable, particularly in rural NSW records .... off the top of my head I mention :  Emma/Emily,  Sally/Sarah  Susan/Susannah.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 April 18 12:20 BST (UK) »
Many forenames are interchangeable eg Jean & Jane, Jenny & Janet, Nancy, Agnes & Ann, Sally & Sarah, Mary & May, Peter & Patrick, Sean & John,  John & Jack, Edward & Edmund, Henry & Harry, Robin & Robert, Roy & Robert, Kathleen & Catherine. (The famous Scottish poet Robert Burns was never known as Robert to his friends. He was always Robin to them). It’s just something that needs to be taken into account when searching Irish and sometimes Scottish records.
Elwyn

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 April 18 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, that's really interesting regarding Matilda and Martha being interchangeable I never knew that?   Please don't think me stupid but why would she change names?  for political reasons?   Do you know this site?  when it states that the record is not yet imaged, does that mean that I could get a copy of the original emailed to me?
If this is my Jane,  how interesting she could have had a brother?  it might be worth me pursuing him to try and find a link?
I have just been looking at the history of Mercers Hospital and St Kevins cemetery, both have a very long history.
Thank you so much to everyone,  I will have a good look at this information                                       

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/i-want-to-get-a-copy-of-a-certificate-what-do-i-do
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.