Author Topic: Missing link for Sarah Bower/Pycraft of Filby (c1720/1-1800)  (Read 1240 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing link for Sarah Bower/Pycraft of Filby (c1720/1-1800)
« on: Friday 20 April 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I have a missing link that I need to find to prove what I think is correct and am wondering if anyone might please have any suggestions. I feel I have exhausted options at the moment.

Basically in 1742 my ancestors Sarah Bower and John Pycraft married in Filby. They named their youngest daughter born in 1764 Mary Bower Pycraft so Bower must have been her maiden name so she was not a widow.

Sarah Bower/Pycraft died in Corton in 1800 and her age is recorded as 79 so born c1720/21, however I can't find a baptism for her.

There were however Bowers in Filby. Richard Bower was born in Stokesby in 1682 and married there 7 Nov 1706 Mary Gimingam and secondly on 29 October 1717 Sarah Nolburgh.

He had no known children with his first wife, but the following children with the second:

Timothy 1718-1719 baptised and buried in Stokesby
Richard ?-1720 buried in Stokesby - no baptism
Timothy 1723-1728 baptised and buried in Stokesby
Mary 1726-1738 baptised Stokesby
Rose 1728-1758 baptised & buried Filby

So it seems that in 1728 the Bower family of Stokesby moved to Filby. Richard Bower was buried in Filby in 1737 and his wife Sarah Nalborough/Bower was buried in 1753.

Now Sarah Bower/Pycraft had children that she named Richard (1755), Timothy (c1757) and Rose (bef c1759) which replicate those of the children of Richard and Sarah. It therefore seems given location and naming that Sarah must be another one of their children, but the lack of a baptism means I can't make this assumption concrete.

I can't find a will or administration of Richard Bower from 1737 or his wife Sarah Nalborough/Bower from 1753 which might provide a link.

Can anyone else please think of any thing to help me prove this?

Any help would really be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Jon

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Missing link for Sarah Bower/Pycraft of Filby (c1720/1-1800)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 April 18 16:19 BST (UK) »
Couldn't find anything for Sarah Bower apart from an online tree that suggests her parents were James Bowen and Eliza and that she was born in Suffolk. This would need a lot of checking out of course. I did find a baptism for a John Pycraft 18/3/1715/16 Filby, parents John and Mary. Also the marriage for John Pycraft and Sarah Bower 9/4/1743 this was taken from the Archdeacons Transcripts, so should be correct-all on FreeREG.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Missing link for Sarah Bower/Pycraft of Filby (c1720/1-1800)
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 April 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for looking, Paco.

I doubt her parents were James and Elizabeth and suspect that is something found randomly to fit the dates! The names Timothy, Richard and Rose and locations I think seal the link to Richard Bower and Sarah Nalborough but of course need that little bit more evidence!

The 1715/6 Filby baptism for John Pycraft I believe to my ancestor John and his will names his children and the fact he owned a property.

Jon