Author Topic: Dating Photo, Please? Taken at Flaglor Studios San Francisco, 1884-1893?  (Read 440 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Dating Photo, Please? Taken at Flaglor Studios San Francisco, 1884-1893?
« on: Saturday 21 April 18 10:00 BST (UK) »
We inherited an old photo album.  There are about 35 photos in the album, only one has a (first) name written on it.  Some of the photographs were trimmed so that they would fit into the slotted pages of the album; the one below was trimmed at the bottom.  Most of the photographs were taken in Pennsylvania, where some of my husband's ancestors lived.

According to the internet, Flaglor Studios was operating at Market & Ninth Streets (San Francisco, California) from 1884 to 1893.

While my husband's grandfather and great uncle were living in California around that time, I don't believe they were married at the time that the photography studio was operating.  Perhaps this is a photograph of another relative?  Approximate date of the photo and suggested ages of the individuals could help identify the family.  Thank you for any suggestions you are able to offer.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dating Photo, Please? Taken at Flaglor Studios San Francisco, 1884-1893?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 April 18 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa...I believe this one to be 1880s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 April 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
Agree with Carol & the girl looks around 4 & parents early-mid 20's.
An odd looking bodice she's wearing.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 April 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol and Jim:

Thank you for your replies; they could really help.  There is a possibility that my husband's grandfather had two brothers who settled in California; perhaps this is the one who was never mentioned (my mother-in-law briefly mentioned only one brother; until yesterday I didn't seriously consider that another brother could have lived in California).

Thank you both very much for your help.  Lisa

PS  I noticed the lady was wearing a different-looking "dress" but I thought perhaps I haven't seen enough photographs to know what was commonly worn and what was a bit odd looking.  I also thought the little girl's dress was a bit odd as it seems to be too full around her middle.  :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 April 18 23:00 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the lady was a dressmaker and made the clothes herself....both dresses have similar collars.
That might also explain the odd bodice design of the lady's dress.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 April 18 23:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the suggestion; I will keep that in mind.  I did notice that the collars were similar, but I was struck by how large the collar was on the little girl.  Again, I don't know anything about clothing, but I would think the collar would have been proportionate to the size of the individual?  I am still looking around for my husband's brothers.  The brother whom we knew about apparently did not have any children (according to a newspaper report about his divorce).  Once I gather all of the documents about this brother, I will have a look around for the other possible brother. Thank you again, Carol; that could be a helpful clue.