Author Topic: Rex Lewis SMITH  (Read 2016 times)

Offline JessicaF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rex Lewis SMITH
« on: Saturday 21 April 18 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

So I started my search for Rex Lewis Smith as he is my Nan's Father and she only had one memory of him when she was a little girl and wanted to know more. I've managed to find a reasonable amount of information on him when I eventually found a WW2 service number and had the file opened as well as some possible photo's but I also stumbled across another 4 children and 2 wives listed on Ancestry that no one knew of. I was wondering if anyone could please confirm or deny the existence of the children and his third wife please as I have exhausted every avenue I can think of and my Nan desperately wants to know. The information I have so far is:

Rex Lewis Smith
b. 29th of January 1905 in Aberdeen,New South Wales
d. 24th of October 1956 in Rockdale,New South Wales

His father was Frank Lewis Smith b. 1872 d.1942
His mother was Coral Annie Irene Pearl Whitehead b.1881 d.1970
He had 8 siblings Linda J Smith, Sidney Frank Smith, Bruce Roland Smith, Coral Irene Smith and another four sisters (possibly still alive)

Married Ruby Irene McMillan in 1922 in Wickham, New South Wales
Birth of Jean May Smith b 1923 d1923?
Birth of Leslie Rex Smith b 1926 d.2005?
Birth of Betty Smith b 1928 d.2013?
Birth of William Thomas b 1929 d 1989?

Married Eunice Helen Lumby in 1934 in Kurri Kurri, New South Wales
Birth of Mary Josephine
Birth of Dulcie May
Aswell as another 3 daughters still living

(I do have dates for them written down somewhere I just can't find them but this is my family so I'm not overly concerned and it hopefully isn't needed)

Enlisted as a Private with the Australian Ordnance Corps on the 20th of March 1942
Service number: NX93136
Discharged the 28th of November 1945

Married Emily Marjorie Beatrice Torr 1953 in Rockdale, New South Wales?
I can find no proof of marriage but they are listed as living together on electoral rolls from 1954 onwards under the last name Smith but I can find no other records of her anywhere.

Rex died the 24th of October 1956 and is buried in Point Clare Cemetery the only family listed with his burial information is his mother and father.

Thank you so much for your help and I'm so sorry for any spelling mistakes or not making sense it's late and I'm tired

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Rex Lewis SMITH
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 April 18 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jessica,

From NSW BDM

Marriage 1953 reg 9419

Rex Lewis SMITH to Emily Marjorie B HUTCHBY at Rockdale

Ros

adding : Welcome to rootschat  :)
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 April 18 22:12 BST (UK) »
There is a divorce record for Rex and Eunice https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/1546042 and a probate packet for Rex Lewis SMITH https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/958887 at NSW archives.    I can photograph these for you next time I am there if you wish

Ros
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 April 18 22:19 BST (UK) »
Here is Emily Marjorie Beatrice SMITH death notice from SMH 2 Aug 1978

Ros

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 April 18 22:28 BST (UK) »
Just adding Rex Lewis SMITH's death notice from SMH 26 oct 1956

Ros

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 April 18 22:45 BST (UK) »
From NSW BDM http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx

Marriage 1922 reg 14288
Rex L SMITH to Ruby I McMILLAN at Wickham

Ros

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 April 18 22:52 BST (UK) »
A lovely description of the marriage of Rex and Eunice http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article158065258

Ros

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 April 18 23:54 BST (UK) »
I'm not finding anything to confirm that the first marriage is for your Rex Lewis SMITH.    Just the marriage index.   I can't find a divorce for Ruby and Rex or a likely death for Ruby before his marriage to Eunice.

I think you may have to buy a transcription of the first marriage to see if the details match.

Here is death notice for Coral Annie Irene Pearl SMITH - I was hoping there may be a mention of the grandchildren ... but no

Ros

adding : His probate packet *should* contain his death certificate which *should* contain details of marriages and children and there's also a chance that he made provision for all his children in his will.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 April 18 00:01 BST (UK) »
Here is a death of a child from NSW BDM
1923 reg 926
SMITH Jean M, father Rex L and mother Ruby I at Wickham

Ros