Author Topic: William and Alice Byway, parents of Thomas, Stoke Goldington, Independent Church  (Read 2169 times)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
I'm helping a friend out with this one, and not sure where to go next.

I have Thomas (b.1807) Byway who marries Rachael West (b.1803) on 12 May 1835, followed later that year by the birth of their daughter Martha Ann, and their son Thomas and another daughter Mary appear on the census records up to 1861 in Stoke Goldington. (This is probably Thomas' death record: BYAWAY, THOMAS (age) 62; GRO Reference: 1869 D Quarter in NEWPORT PAGNELL Volume 03A Page 362.)

Going up Thomas' line, the only birth which seems to tally with census age and birthdate seems to be a baptism on 22 Mary 1807 (birth 5 Feb), to William and Alice - variously transcribed Byaway and Byerway as well as Byway. There are also sisters Martha (30 Jan 1803) and Ann (01 Aug 1804).

These baptisms are all recorded at The Great Meeting Independent, Newport Pagnell. Currently having access to Ancestry, I have obtained Thomas' handwritten baptism entry, which looks more like Byerway than Byway (but the parents most likely illterate, it was no doubt up to the scribe to guess at the spelling).

I can't find anything further in indexed records for William or Alice. I the header for a record on FindMyPast from the Buckinghamshire Banns Index, location Newport Pagnell, for a William Byway in 1803 - but I think that this must relate to a William who married Elizabeth Sutton on 03 Jul 1803 (in FamilySearch).

FamilySearch seems to have various church records available for Bucks., but what church is this Independent one? Any ideas on how to find out more about William and Alice?

Possible red herrings:
  • an Ancestry user tree has Thomas' parents as a couple who marry in Cranfield, Beds. in 1797, but this doesn't sound likely, as she (Alice Odell) was 26 and this William Byway would have been 19 - and then only have children 6+ years later in Bucks?
  • There are some Byways in Shenley (a William around Thomas' age, I think), but last time I was looking could not find a relationship there.

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

There are these in Posse Comitatus 1798. Shenley Brook End is just a few miles from Newport Pagnell.

p. 203
Shenley Brook End
John Byway, servant

p. 204
Shenley Brook End
William Byway, labourer

p. 301
Bow Brickhill
Charles Byway, labourer

p. 301
Bow Brickhill
James Byway, labourer

http://www.bucksrecsoc.org.uk/BRS-VOLUMES/brs-vol-22.pdf

Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi lucymags,
Although not wanting throw any spanners in the works. There is a marriage in SG on 20 Sep 1790 between William Byway and Mary Barfoot. Given that the witnesses at Thomas' wedding to Rachel were Catherine West and Thomas Barfoot there may be a connection.
Regards
Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
A possibility for William: in Family Search there's a William Byway, born 1771 in Salford Beds, the son of Thomas Byway and Elizabeth. That's just on the other side of Milton Keynes.
Pontifex - Bucks

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Ah - thanks very much to both of you, Vance and Peter.

That Posse Comitatus is an interesting document in itself, having never encountered one of those before! (I could  easily get distracted reading it and about it. :) )

And hmmm, now that you mention it, Peter, I think I came across that Mary Barfoot (and possibly a baptism of a child of that marriage) before, but hadn't noticed the connection to those witnesses.

I will dig deeper into all of those names and report back...

And as I was typing, your further post about that William too, Vance - thanks. I will investigate and see if I can find further clues.

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
There are quite many of the Bucks Record Society volumes available online:

http://www.bucksrecsoc.org.uk/publications.html
Pontifex - Bucks

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Given that the witnesses at Thomas' wedding to Rachel were Catherine West and Thomas Barfoot there may be a connection.

Just going back to my records and notes and getting them organised... I find that I don't have access to that actual marriage record (FS parish records are only available at LDS centre, and Ancestry doesn't have it), so wouldn't have seen the witnesses. Do you have a publicly available source, or did you find this by other means? (And oddly enough there's a Rachel West who marries a Thomas West in SG 14 years earlier - presumably a different one.)

I noted on another thread that the Bucks FHS does searches and just had a look - presumably they would send a PDF of the search result? - so that is another option.

There are quite many of the Bucks Record Society volumes available online:
http://www.bucksrecsoc.org.uk/publications.html

Thanks for that - looks interesting!

(I'll be back once I've made some progress - doing a bit of multi-tasking at the moment!)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Yes.  BucksFHS can do a search for a single named person, for a single event.  ie. £1 per search, for each event(Marriage, Baptism or burial), for a 100 year period in between the years of 1538 to 1901.

Or, a single surname search, for all events, for a total of £9, per 100 year period, from 1538 - 1901.

Searches are done by expert volunteers, and results are in PDF format, sent via email. Response with results will not be immediate, and may take up to 1 week, or sooner.

Steve. :)

Steve. :)

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Thanks for that Steve.  :)

Unfortunately real life has intervened and I don't think that I can get back to this until tomorrow. I have followed some tantalising threads (getting somewhat distracted by independent churches, links to Beds., other interesting doco, etc.) but haven't got to the point of trying to assemble what I have and see which pieces fit best yet. Once I've done that I might send off to the FHS to see if there are clues in some records which add to the likelihood of the various relationships having existed.