Author Topic: Tracing my grandfather - Arthur Lloyd Jones (Harry Jones or Harry or Eddie May)  (Read 6974 times)

Offline Black Adder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing my grandfather - Arthur Lloyd Jones (Harry Jones or Harry or Eddie May)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 October 20 17:33 BST (UK) »
There is a further fascinating reference. In the 1940 marriage certificate of his daughter Betty (born 1918) her father is listed as Arthur Lloyd Jones (deceased) and his occupation as "Munitions Worker".
Solve that, sleuths!

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing my grandfather - Arthur Lloyd Jones (Harry Jones or Harry or Eddie May)
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 October 20 18:23 BST (UK) »
There is a further fascinating reference. In the 1940 marriage certificate of his daughter Betty (born 1918) her father is listed as Arthur Lloyd Jones (deceased) and his occupation as "Munitions Worker".
Solve that, sleuths!

My suggestion:

Isa and Thomas Edwards were apparently 'together' from at least midsummer 1918, given the birth of their son James in March 1919 (do you know his precise birthdate, as this would give you an even closer relationship start date)

If Thomas Edwards was in hospital in Seaford, was that when the relationship started?

Possibly Harry gave up the stage earlier - ill health? - and they had split up and he earned a living during WWI in a munitions factory?

As to why Isa and Thomas Edwards didn't marry, he wasn't still married to someone else, was he?
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Black Adder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 October 20 22:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Igorstrav. In fact daughter Betty was born before James. Her birth was Jan 1918 so I guess Isabel and Thomas met quite some time before. Thomas was originally from South Woodford in London. He emigrated to Canada in 1912 and enlisted in the 21st Bn Canadian Expeditionary Force. He served on the Somme and won the Military Medal.  At some stage he was invalided back to the UK and was probably nursed in the Canadian hospital in Hastings. I can surmise that stage entertainer Isa might have been giving a show to the troops and they met that way.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 October 20 13:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Igorstrav. In fact daughter Betty was born before James. Her birth was Jan 1918 so I guess Isabel and Thomas met quite some time before. Thomas was originally from South Woodford in London. He emigrated to Canada in 1912 and enlisted in the 21st Bn Canadian Expeditionary Force. He served on the Somme and won the Military Medal.  At some stage he was invalided back to the UK and was probably nursed in the Canadian hospital in Hastings. I can surmise that stage entertainer Isa might have been giving a show to the troops and they met that way.

You mentioned that Betty had said on her marriage certificate in 1940 that her father was Arthur (Harry) a munitions worker - but was she really the daughter of Thomas Edwards?

Whatever the case, Isa and Thomas must have met (as I previously calculated) by midsummer 1918 when Betty was about six months old?
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline Black Adder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 10 October 20 13:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry. My mistake.  Betty was definitely the daughter of Arthur Lloyd Jones by Mabel Isabella.  James (my Uncle Jimmy) was the son of Thomas (whom I called Uncle Tom).

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 10 October 20 14:10 BST (UK) »
Well, no matter now - sorry for the 'counting months' strategy as we cannot understand what happened more than 100 years ago between Isa and Harry and Thomas.

It is a strategy I pursue, because of course it does give just a small clue into previous lives.....

My own great grandmother was born in March 1865, after my greatx2 grandmother had married in October 1864, aged 18. 

My greatx2 grandfather was (so far as I can judge) a 'bit of a lad' and was in the Navy at the time of the marriage.

I don't know what happened precisely (of course) but a man in the local village was widowed in the summer of 1865, and left with a small daughter, and by the end of that year my Greatx2 grandmother must have started a relationship with him, because their first (of 12) child was born in August 1866.

They never married, because of course my Greatx2 grandmother was already married. 

However, my Greatx2 grandfather had no such scruples, moved across the county and married bigamously himself in 1874 after having had three children with his partner.

There were a lot of certificates bought in the search for that little story.   ;)

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline Black Adder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 10 October 20 14:13 BST (UK) »
Fascinating.  I always greatly regret not asking my mother all about her parents before she died in 1997.