Author Topic: Sarah Hutton b. 1805 Thursby  (Read 1297 times)

Offline penworth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Hutton b. 1805 Thursby
« on: Sunday 22 April 18 19:41 BST (UK) »
I have in my family tree a Sarah Hutton who married James Sunderland 22 Jan 1825 in Thursby, Cumberland. She died in December 1881 at age 76, placing her birth date in 1805. In census records, she gives Thursby as her place of birth. Problem is, there are two Sarah Huttons who were christened in Thursby in 1805.  :-\ One is the daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Addison, the other of George and Elizabeth Mark. I looked for clues in the names of Sarah and James's children, but they have a boy named George and another named Thomas, so not much help there. Any ideas where to go from here?
mcintyre, burns, bolton, sunderland, patrick, hutton, thompson, thomas, moore, homer, armstrong

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Hutton b. 1805 Thursby
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 April 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
Have you been able to trace 'the other' Sarah through to her death  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 April 18 10:48 BST (UK) »
I note that their eldest son was John Hutton Sunderland, the father of James was John.
Their second son was Thomas, my guess the father of Sarah. George was their 4th son.

Thomas & Elizabeth Addison married Thursby 27 Nov 1802, they had John 1803, Sarah 1805 & Elizabeth 1808.
George & Elizabeth Mark were married Thursby 7 Dec 1802, they had John 1803, Sarah 1805, William 1808.

It looks likely that Thomas & George were related.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 April 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the wills of Thomas or George-- if they left one. It is commonplace for the testator to say something like: "I leave to my daughter Sarah, the wife of [James Sunderland]" This would help clear up which Sarah is which.

In my family tree I have two brothers who had 8 children and 12 children respectively. Unfortunately the names of the eight children are duplicated in eight of the 12 children and all in the same parish around the same time.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline penworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 04:02 BST (UK) »
All great suggestions! Thank you! It does stand to reason that Thomas Hutton would be the father just going by the names of Sarah and James's children. I do believe that Thomas and George were brothers. A will would certainly be ideal. There was a Sarah Hutton who married in Carlisle in 1825 a George Rowell. Their children were Mary Ann and Elizabeth. She could be the "other" Sarah; but I couldn't find this family in any census - no deaths either. Oh, well, gonna keep digging... Thanks again!
mcintyre, burns, bolton, sunderland, patrick, hutton, thompson, thomas, moore, homer, armstrong

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 04:50 BST (UK) »
This might be Sarah and George ROWELL in 1851 at Newcastle upon Tyne

George Rowell    54    Brampton, Cumberland  (collier)
Sarrah Rowell    45    Brampton
Mary Rowell    21    Carlisle
Elizabeth Rowell 19    Carlisle
George Rowell    15    Newcastle
John Rowell    8    Newcastle

HO107/2407 / 285

Modified to add:
Looks like they also had
1838   James  (Newcastle upon tyne)  (died 1839)
1847   Thomas   (Newcastle upon tyne)  (died 1847)

(from GRO, with mother's maiden name HUTTON)

Offline penworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 18:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you, maddys52. That looks like them.  :)