Author Topic: Murder in Edinburgh  (Read 6991 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Murder in Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
Willhelmina Nicolson, was she a Shetlander Maddy?

Skoosh.

The newspaper reports don't say where she was from, or where her husband was. Just did a quick search and was surprised to see it's not an uncommon name.

Modified to add:
Some other reports give her name as Jemima NICOLSON or GRIERSON (age 42 in 1923), she had not lived with her husband since 1914,  and one report says she is from Leven. So I guess not Shetland.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 April 18 06:36 BST (UK) »
Cheers Maddy, my gt granny had the same name & lived in Leith! ;D

Skosh.

Offline Sealight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 January 19 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Have only just seen the posts regarding a murder in Edinburgh.  The murder of Wilhelmina Nicholson (or Grierson) in Bridge Street, Leith, Edinburgh in 1923 is interesting to me as she was my adoptive grandmother.  She was killed by John Henry Savage who was subsequently executed on 11 June 1923 in Edinburgh.  Her husband, whom she left in 1914 was my mother's father and he lived in Coaltown of Wemyss, Fife.  I was brought up in Dysart, Fife.  Wilhelmina (or Jemima) also had a son two years younger than my mother and he emigrated to New Zealand where he has family and who I am still in contact with and have visited on a few occasions.  He died in 1977.  I would love to hear from any other relatives on this site.

Offline Scotty.jill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 April 21 17:50 BST (UK) »
Jemima Nicolson was my great Grandads cousin, William John Nicholson. He was originally from Fife but moved to Perthshire after being in the army.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 02:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Scotty.jill and welcome to RootsChat.

Sealight hasn't been on RootsChat since January 2019, but hopefully they still have the same email and will receive notification of your post. I'm sure they will want to contact you if you share relatives.  :)

Offline Scotty.jill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 16:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you maddys52 🤞🏻

Offline Sealight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 June 21 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi ScottyJill - it's Sealight here.  Sorry that I have not checked any messages for quite a while.

Regarding Jemima Nicholson who was a cousin of your Gt Grandad - William John Nicholson.  I don't have any details for William.  I only know that Jemima was the mother of my adoptive mother.  I found out the whole story when in my late teens as this story was always kept very quiet!!  Jemima and Joe Grierson had a daughter (my mother) and also a son - Joe Grierson.  When young Joe was 19 or 20 years he and his girlfriend, Elizabeth Burt, (my aunt Lizzie) sailed to New Zealand.  They had four of a family.  When Joe died my mother kept in touch with aunt Lizzie and her daughter Betty.  I stayed with the family for six weeks in 1988 and, although aunt Lizzie is now no longer with us, I am still in constant contact with my cousin Betty and the rest of the family.  I will certainly let them know that I have been in touch with you and see if I can get any further information.

Tomorrow I will have to sit down and work out our relationship!!!!

Look forward to hearing from you - and I shall check RootsChat regularly!!!

Regards,  Wilma

Offline Chade9

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Isabella Hain was my 1st cousin 3x removed. Her Mum, Florence Louisa white Berry was my 2nd Great Grandaunt.
I have some other newsclippings too as well as death records for both of them!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 February 22 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Chade9

langwell last logged on here in December 2021, so hopefully they will receive notification of your post and will be along soon. I'm sure they will be interested to hear from you.  :)