Author Topic: Grove Street, Hazel Grove - Puzzled!  (Read 939 times)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grove Street, Hazel Grove - Puzzled!
« on: Monday 23 April 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
I'm actually looking for "Grove House". Looking at the 1841 (HO 107/99/21) it seems to be somewhere near or on "Grove Street" - I know the area, I lived round the corner for forty years.

The problem is that Grove Street wasn't built until the 1890s. In the 1840s it was a field!

Am I missing something?

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grove Street, Hazel Grove - Puzzled!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 April 18 15:11 BST (UK) »
Although the Grove Street you know wasn't built until the 1890s is it possible that there was an earlier Grove Street in a slightly different place. Comparing various old maps may help, but first you have to find the old maps!

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 April 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
The oldest map I could find at the National Library of Scotland site was surveyed in 1872 - https://maps.nls.uk/view/102341008# - and it doesn't really help much.

However, I had a look at the 1851 census to see if there were any clues. What I did find was that the Heys family from Grove House in 1841 were now in a house called Vine Cottage, and the houses on either side were listed as Vine Street. Moreover, the same family (James & Betty Wood etc) were in the immediately preceding house on both censuses. I wonder...?

Edit:
Forgot to give the 1851 ref: HO107/2157 fo601 p13
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 April 18 17:25 BST (UK) »
If you look at the 1871 six inch map, what is, and presumably was, Vine Street runs at right angles from London Road roughly NE through the "S" in "Silk Mill" eventually linking with what was to become Grove Street.

The three streets running between Commercial Road and Chapel Street - Hazel Street, Grove Street and Co-operative Street give a clue as to who built them!

I think Stockport Heritage Library has some early 1:1250 maps and I have to go past there to have my teeth examined later this week, perhaps I'll call in and see.

Thanks emeltom and arthurk.