Author Topic: Can any one help with a look up on Roman Catholic Baptism records Please?  (Read 2245 times)

Offline jacky_d

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi im trying to find the baptism records of my ancestor if anyone can help please. I do know i can order these records via family search however i have repeatedly tried to make an appointment to view with no success. The RC Baptism records i am looking for are as follows

Orocho (aka Rocco) Laurence Marcho (aka Marco, Mazzone/i) Father Anthony (aka Antonio) mother Frances (aka Francesca)....Born 6th Sep 1894 24 Church St Tredegar, Bedwellty.

Gerald Marco (aka Marcho, Mazzone/i)  Father Anthony Marco (aka Marcho Mazzone/i) Mother Frances (aka Francesca)  ..Born 23 Oct 1896 32 Lewis St, Blackwood,

Any help would be gratefully received thank you in advance.

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can any one help with a look up on Roman Catholic Baptism records Please?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 July 18 18:33 BST (UK) »
Another one I've just picked up on, seems to link with another post with a similar title - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=792242.msg6483705#msg6483705

Jacky, you list a total of 6 children between 1885 and 1896 and there seems to be some doubt in your mind over whether they were all born to the same couple.  I think they were and my reasoning is that the family were Italian and may have had limited understanding of what was being asked when the children were born/bap.

I've found the 1883 marriage on FreeBMD, Antonio Mazzo and Francesca Ponda.  I've also found all six children on FreeBMD and used the registration info to check mmn on the GRO website.  This differs from birth to birth but I think it's just variants of the same surname.

1901 census has them as a family unit plus a week old baby.  Did Antonio play a church organ or a fairground (barrel) one?

*edit going by photo believed to be of the young couple newly-married, if Antonio was a church organist I'd expect him to have a "Sunday best" set of clothes.  I may be wrong but I don't think it would have included a cloth cap.

It's possible that the couple didn't consider themselves "properly" married if they'd not had their Register Office ceremony blessed in a Catholic church, and that could explain why the first two children appear to be registered to a single mother.  Or it could be that husband was away and poor mum couldn't make herself understood, so registrar made an assumption.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline jacky_d

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can any one help with a look up on Roman Catholic Baptism records Please?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 July 18 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane im sorry about all my posts and again you make some really good valid points. Before we found proof that the 2 boys were not Antonios children I thought exactly the same as you and I also thought that because they had not had there wedding blessed  I did think that perhaps they didn't recognise it as proper marriage.
I do have all of there birth certificates and am more than willing to share them via private email if any one is interested. Antonio also made Ice cream too and it was a Fairground barrel organ he played, as did they all!
On the 1901 Census the baby mentioned was not theirs, there baby was born a month after and even though they were using the name Marco on the 1901 census the baby was registered as a Mazzone not a Marco where as Rocco Concetta and Gerald were all registered as Marco/marcho and Juhann (first shared child) was registered as a Mazzane. Its all rather complicated. So the reasoning behind my new post is to try and concentrate on where Antonio was and then work back wards Thank you again for your kind response